Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Using an AEM 380 inline with no sump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using an AEM 380 inline with no sump?

I searched this forum and others looking for insight on this, also AEM's website. I am shooting for 500 tire on pump gas, with my 5.3 turbo build. The project is a 1961 Impala and the ready to rock EFI tanks are way out of my price range. So my choices are sump a factory tank or make a frame mounted pump draw through a factory sender. Am I wrong in thinking this pump would work okay drawing through a 3/8 line out the top of the tank? I am kind of assuming the "valve" they reference on their spec sheet is intended as a check valve in those applications. Please help
Old 03-23-2017, 04:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

EFI pumps MUST have a good clean gravity fed supply of fuel at all times.

Trying to get one to suck upwards from a small diameter line.....I would never say that will be a good idea.

And no, their check valve is intended for the high pressure outlet for those who obsess about trying to retain pressure in the supply line.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to update anyone wondering, I called AEM and their tech said I would be totally fine to have it draw through the factory sender. That being said, after conversation with a friend who has build several LS swapped turbo cars, I ordered a weld on sump and will be sumping the factory tank to gravity feed the pump as previously suggested.

Quick Reply: Using an AEM 380 inline with no sump?