Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Sheetz e85 vs flex fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sheetz e85 vs flex fuel pumps

Recently, our sheetz (southern wv) has put in flex fuel pumps and they are rated 51-83% ethanol. In PA, they have the pumps that actually are labeled e85. Does anyone know if they fill both with the same blend? I'm going to order a test kit but was wondering if anyone who knew could chime in
Old 04-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSLogan
Recently, our sheetz (southern wv) has put in flex fuel pumps and they are rated 51-83% ethanol. In PA, they have the pumps that actually are labeled e85. Does anyone know if they fill both with the same blend? I'm going to order a test kit but was wondering if anyone who knew could chime in
Federal minimum is 51% and can be sold as "E85". Do yourself a favor and always test. I run a flex fuel sensor in my truck down here in South Florida and see anywhere from 64% to 75% ethanol content at varied stations. Haven't seen a station give true 85%.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a cheap buoyancy ethonal tester. The naked eye can estimate it withinin a couple %. I just filled my last 55 gallon drum of E85 here in Florida, and when I tested it, it was ~ 80% ethanol. I was quite happy to say the least. Back in CO, in the winter I would see as low as 70% and in the summer the highest I ever saw was 83%. Others report seeing as high as 90% in some locations and times of year.

Colder climates tend to have lower ethanol % during the winter months to help with cold starts.

But yes if you have the ability to run an ethanol sensor with on-the-fly calibration adjustment, that is the ticket. In fact, that was a very large driving factor for me to go aftermarket EMS as opposed to factory harness/PCM, among other things...and I own HPTuners hardware and run a business tuning customers cars, if that tells you anything. Could have done it for free, but chose to spend $1200 instead for this capability as well as some others.

Quick Reply: Sheetz e85 vs flex fuel pumps