Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default bad fuel pump?

im playing with the fuel system and although its not what i have in mind as the final solution, i hooked up an aem 50-1005 pump in series to the in tank "255". the 255 is capable of pumping through the aem (off) without pressure loss. when i switch on the aem, absolutly nothing happens. i have them pumping through a restrictor producing around 3 bar. when i switch on the aem, pressure doesnt change.

i checked the aem separately and it works, i even had it hooked up parallel to the 255 pumping from a container and that works, pressure raises. im not impressed by the aem, however, as it produces a slightly lower pressure through the restrictor than the 255. its supposed to be 380l/h pump.

is that advertising/whishfull thinking or is it not working properly? so if its weaker than the 255, would that be a reason for it contributing nothing when in series? i think not, it should be helping anyway and increase the backpressure through the restrictor.

i thought i knew what i was doing, but this has me confused. any thoughts?
Old 09-03-2017, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

If they are both set to the same pressure you will notice no change. If the in-tank pump satisfies demand, the AEM pump will pump, but not add to the pressure since the pressure is at spec already.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

pressure is not set, no regulator, just pumping through a 2 mm orifice. so if aem does anything, volume and pressure should rise, right? each pump produces 2.9 bar on ist own, 255 pumping from tank, aem from a container. if i put the aem after the 255 nothing happens. (it also doesnt pump without the 255 running. that doesnt surprise me, because its in front.) so the question is: if you have one pump feeding another one, what would make the second pump not contribute to the flow, when ist running?

edit: a small bosch pump i have produces 0.4 bar through that orifice.

Last edited by Dian; 09-03-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Quick Reply: bad fuel pump?