Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

STUCK fuel injectors, how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default STUCK fuel injectors, how to fix?

I sold my friend an LS2 that's been sitting for two years. We just installed it and went to crank it and it is getting no fuel from the injectors. It will try to start with starting fluid.

Injectors ARE getting power on one side. When I force a ground to the injectors none of them spray except for 1.

So I'm guessing they sat for too long and the plungers are stuck in place.

Does anyone know what can be done? Anyway I can manually push the plunger up to unstick the injectors? If possible, could anyone point out what would need to be done? (remove cap? push plunger w/ needle? I have no idea)

THANKS!!
Old 05-27-2018, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

There are You Tube videos on how to construct a pressurized fuel injector tester / cleaner device. There's several different designs and I used Brake Kleen spray on mine when I first got my engine home last August. I think the injector will actuate on as little power as what a 9 volt battery can deliver. You might consider using the type of Brake Kleen that is NOT flammable here because even tiny sparks from a 9 volt battery around flammable cleaners and fuel rail fumes can ruin the whole rest of your day in an accident. If you can get them to start flowing, they will often continue to get an even better flow rate and spray pattern. Just don't give up too soon.

Also check the resistance of each injector with a truly, no kidding accurate multimeter. The EV6 injectors I'm running should be around 12 ohms and I recently had the injector at cylinder one spike up to 17 ohms and its corresponding header pipe only reached maybe 115 degrees F for a temperature. Borrow a good Fluke multimeter from somebody because those cheap or freebie Harbor Freight meters will likely lead you to believe that ALL of your injectors are far from their proper resistance.

You can also make a quick trip to the junkyard and pull a few injectors - ten bucks a piece around here. Mr Goodwrench at the Chevy dealer wanted around 75 bucks each - ouch!!! Check the resistance first before pulling them from the junkyard vehicle. Then test them at home with your freshly made injector tester / cleaner and you should be good to go.

After that, I like either Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner (less expensive) or the really good but expensive 25-30 dollar AC Delco "X66P" fuel system cleaner to finish internally cleaning my injectors after getting the vehicle to run. It's not that I buy a lot of either of these but I will run these in high concentrations with just a few gallons of gas in the tank to speed up the cleansing process.

Rick
Old 05-29-2018, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was able to get 6 unstuck by constantly tapping power to them. 2 wouldn’t become unstuck

I ended up dropping them off at a professional injector cleaning service to be cleaned and flow tested. They said there is an 99% chance they can get them unstuck and flowing like new
Old 05-30-2018, 04:16 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ultrasonic cleaner.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fuhnortoner
Ultrasonic cleaner.
Yup, that is what it sounds like they did to them, but also while they were in the ultrasonic bath - they had the injectors pulsing constantly.

The shop was able to get all 8 flowing like new again
Old 06-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Harbor freight cheapie or eBay ultrasonic cleaner and some ZEP cleaner usually does the trick just fine.