Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Stock Fuel pump cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Fuel pump cost

Hi, I have seen prices from $50 to $300 for a ls1 T/A replacement pump. About how much to get a pump that has comparable spec's to the stock pump? A car audio place mounted my amp over the pump and broke it. The price to have this fixed by a mechanic is $800. Is this a fair price? Thanks.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,057 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I would let that be the car audio place's problem. They break, they fix. Cost is also their problem.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by _Justin
Hi, I have seen prices from $50 to $300 for a ls1 T/A replacement pump. About how much to get a pump that has comparable spec's to the stock pump? A car audio place mounted my amp over the pump and broke it. The price to have this fixed by a mechanic is $800. Is this a fair price? Thanks.
Ford recently replaced the pump on my 2003 Ford Ranger - just north of $1500 parts and labor.
The pump went bad on my 1995 Z28 Camaro. Car was still under warranty. GM refused to warranty the pump. Parts and labor when shop rates were $75 an hour was a little bit over $1200 for parts and labor (the pump was $585). Today at $98 an hour labor cost would be higher.

IMO - get an estimate from the GM dealer. Get the Audio company to pay you that amount. I would not depend on them to find a vendor to do the work and replace with a junk fuel pump assembly. Then find a mechanic who will replace the pump for just labor cost with you supplying the parts (pump and filter). Most of labor is dropping the tank. Us shade tree mechanics cut a hole from the top making it unnecessary to remove the tank.

Or simply take it to GM and have GM do it for the their estimated cost since the audio company is paying for it.

Racetronix sells a pump, filter, and upgraded wire harness for much less than the price of a new pump assembly from GM. This kit comes with an upgraded bulkhead connector replacing the original bulkhead connector (prone to failure according to Racetronix).

Tip: you might consider replacing the internal fuel pressure regulator when pulling the fuel pump assembly if you decide to just replace the pump and in tank filter instead of replacing the entire fuel pump assembly. The regulator is now almost 20 years old.

https://www.racetronix.biz/k/f99-fue...xp255/rfpk-001

By now, unless the original pump has never been replaced, the in tank pump filter has probably completely disintegrated. If so you will have to clean the tank and remove the debris. The tank is plastic so no worry for rust in the tank.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 07-01-2021 at 11:13 AM. Reason: edit content
Old 07-05-2021, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 434 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by _Justin
Might be a fair price for the audio shop to pay. Definitely not a fair price for you to pay.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (07-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Stock Fuel pump cost