Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Engine woes or fueling issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022 | 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Just as a couple week late update. I cleaned the IAC sensor and reinstalled it.
Have not even tried to start the engine since. Tonight I may try and drive it down the street to my new house but other than that it is off
Old 10-04-2022 | 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Okay so little bit of an update. Battery died in this truck. Seal broke wouldn't hold a charge so new battery. I was able to finally get it to learn an idle and we were back in business. Still smoked and stank though. Drove it down the street and actually it seemed like it wanted to drive. The last time I drove it was backing it into my driveway and it would just buck and surge. Parked it and started it later, same issues. Crap idle, smoky, stinky. After some time the idle goes away but the truck revs itself up on its own about 10 times before it finally settles.
Old 10-05-2022 | 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

No intake leaks. Smoked it last night through the Evap purge valve port and nothing.
Old 10-05-2022 | 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Pulled the fuel rails to see if anything leaks out of the injectors when key on engine off, looking for stuck open, and nothing. One injector did fall out though and was not secured so I buttoned it back down and replaced the fuel pressure regulator and still no fix.

I drove the truck around though and it seems to drive decent except very very randomly it will seem to just die and then come back to life.
Attached Files
Old 10-06-2022 | 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

running speed density on this log. Watch my attached youtube video as well. It ran even worse on SD than it did on normal fueling.
Attached Files
Old 10-08-2022 | 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

not coolant or oil
Old 10-13-2022 | 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

Have a new tune file someone came up with for me that apparently straightens out some things. I am hopeful but not optimistic as it would not make sense that my tune worked for 2 years and then out of the blue decided not to. Should find out here in a few hours after I get off work.

In his words "changed cylinder mass and VE for a 6.0 (lean issue). Timing tables were pretty **** fixed that. **** ton of idle spark with zero under or over adjust (hence bad jumping idle), fixed that. Drop flow to 22#s (hence it dumping fuel with 44# and stock VE tables going lean."
Old 10-13-2022 | 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Well uh a new tune fixed it. Sort of.

Truck drives and idles fine now, no power loss and AFR looks good although it idled rich for a minute or two. BUT the truck still smokes especially at idle, driving around I can't really tell. 2 month old gas now though so maybe that? I think the tune could be slightly improved, since it was an email one, but what do I know.
I wonder if all the smoke is not just residual **** in the tail pipe.
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (12-06-2022)
Old 10-16-2022 | 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Tune seems to have fixed it. Just needs to be cleaned up. No idea what happened. I think it is all just water vapor now.
strutaeng (12-06-2022)
Old 11-10-2022 | 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

One month later update.
I think the tune was a crutch for the real issue. Pretty sure I pumped water at a gas station rather than fuel. I got my tune set up and changed it up slightly and I think I was just compensating for the bad fuel.
It was pointed out to me that I was having a lot of knock in the low RPMs. I figured that was just false knock but I pulled timing throughout the low and it didn't go away. I added a can of race gas concentrate and suddenly all that low end knock basically went away. Still have a little bit but way different than before.
Today I am going to switch back to my original tune and go pump some 93 from a different station. I don't want to jinx it yet but just wanted to add to the thread.

No logs cause I'm in my own echo chamber lol
The following 2 users liked this post by shakenfake:
G Atsma (11-10-2022), strutaeng (12-06-2022)
Old 11-21-2022 | 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

Been driving the truck around on that old tank of gas. Seems to be doing better although it takes a while to get it going right. Drove it 50 miles over the weekend with probably 20 minutes of idle time, just trying to get the tank all the way empty before I fill it up. Been too cold and dark to want to drive it around after work though
strutaeng (12-06-2022)
Old 12-05-2022 | 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

To finally close this thread out it was bad gas all along. Disgusting.
The following 2 users liked this post by shakenfake:
G Atsma (12-06-2022), strutaeng (12-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Engine woes or fueling issues?