Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Probably the dumbest question to date

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably the dumbest question to date

I have seen people make our stock fuel pressure regulator adjustable. my question is if i do this mod i wanna know if the computer will stiil keep only a certain amount going into the injectors. because at high rpm on juice i think im running lean.
Basicly i dont want more fuel than the computer decides to dumped in but if the motor need more fuel top end i want the supply to be there.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

if you up the base fp the car will run rich on start up and then the computer will pull the ltrims negative to compensate for all part throttle condiditons to get back to stoich a/f.

your wide open tune will be enriched however as your fuel trims will not be affecting them since they are negative thus zeroing at power enrichment.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure when people do this they put a single value in all the cells in the injector flow rate tables. The stock tables have different values for injector flow rate vs. vacuum.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i think he is talking about just changing the static fuel pressure of the stock regulator to above 58psi. this can be done with a torx bit once you get inside the tank of course.

you can also hook a manifold pressure reference to the stock regulator.. however that gets more tricky running a vaccum line inside the tank.. that would also help out his situation assuming he is forced induction.

in the long run bottom line is your stock regulator is cheap-o and undersized anyhow.. just put an external regulator under the car and be done with it (for a while )