Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

tpi problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tpi problems

i have a 89 iroc-z with a tpi 350 l98 . the other day i was getting on the freeway. i had it to the floor and the engine pulled to about 3500 and then just fell on its face and would run right. i had to sit in california holiday traffic for about 10 miles. i had to keep my foot on the brake and and the gas to keep the engine from dying. after a while if i tried to give it more gas it would stumble and pop in the intake and struggled to go. well i got home started messing around and unplugged the MAF and boom engine idle smoothly. so i took it for a drive and the car will now pull to 5000 rpm. it never pulled that high. It would usally fall off at about 4300-4500rpm. Is the Maf to blame for this. I thought with out the MAF hooked up it would run . What gives any ideas. How hard would be to convert to a later model style with speed density. sorry for being so long
Old 11-30-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Its a bad MAF. With the MAF unpluged the ECU runs in a "limp home mode" meaning that it uses the internal tables for fuel and not the sensors.

I was going to blame the fule pump or injectors untill you mentioned the car running with out the MAF.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by YsoFast
Its a bad MAF. With the MAF unpluged the ECU runs in a "limp home mode" meaning that it uses the internal tables for fuel and not the sensors.

I was going to blame the fule pump or injectors untill you mentioned the car running with out the MAF.
i think i will leave the maf unpluged until it has to be smogged again. it runs so damn good. could i convert it to a speed density style like on the 90-92 tpi units???
Old 12-02-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by turbochevy
i think i will leave the maf unpluged until it has to be smogged again. it runs so damn good. could i convert it to a speed density style like on the 90-92 tpi units???
The swap wouldn't be worth it because everything would need swapped. I have the setup but it is a engine, tranny, harness, ecu package from my 90 Iroc.