Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Is There A Difference In Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrivera04
V8 are so damn expensive to drive when your right foot gets locked in the downward position.
that happens often
Old 04-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind paying extra to be able to drive my GTO or WS6.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Launching!

I think certain companies are better then others. I usually like Amoco fuels, when i used to have my Probe GT that has a JSpec motor with 10.5:1 compression and Amoco gold pump always burned the best i thought. I would get easily 50-100 miles more to a tank. I use shell vpower once in a while but never seemed to do as well.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SsZERO
You will make the most power using the lowest octane gas that will not detonate/knock in your engine...for most of us that is 92-93...but you can get away with 89 if the weather isn't too hot. If you use a higher octane than is necessary, you will actually reduce power output and increase the rate at which carbon builts up inside your engine.
I tried using 89 octane back when gas first started getting expensive. My car knocked like crazy, especially up hills. I only use 93 now, regardless of price. Its just the cost of owning a great performance car.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

there is a place with 94 octane by my house in michigan
Old 04-29-2005, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Do a google search and you'll get a ton of hits on this but Shell and Chevron are the gas of choice by GM because it meets their new "Top Tier" standards for gasoline detergents. Here is one of the articles:
http://www.gascan.com/toptier.htm

There is another interesting article/letter in the back of this months Road and Track magazine. The letter is written from an gas executive that talks of how all new gas stations are only built with 87 and 93 octane storage tanks. The mid grade gas is mixed right there at the pump.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AZ28DRIVER1
Do a google search and you'll get a ton of hits on this but Shell and Chevron are the gas of choice by GM because it meets their new "Top Tier" standards for gasoline detergents. Here is one of the articles:
http://www.gascan.com/toptier.htm

There is another interesting article/letter in the back of this months Road and Track magazine. The letter is written from an gas executive that talks of how all new gas stations are only built with 87 and 93 octane storage tanks. The mid grade gas is mixed right there at the pump.
Thank you! I was waiting for someone to explain detergents.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Very interesting! Looks like we should be using either Chevron or Shell.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Not to burst everyone's bubble, but here's a tidbit (and a very true tidbit) of info.

Except for some places along the gulf coast (like south and central Texas, Louisiana, etc.); all gas is running through SHARED pipelines Translation: Amaco, Shell, Exxon, Sunoco, etc all have their gas coming from the same pipeline when distributing to say, Iowa, Nebraska, etc.

Yes, there are some differences in Octane (ie Sunoco 94). But, gas is gas. Most brands dye their gas AFTER getting it through central pipelines. This is as much for ID purposes as anything else. So.....I always buy my gas at the cheapest place in town

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 05-10-2005, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Schantin
Not to burst everyone's bubble, but here's a tidbit (and a very true tidbit) of info.

Except for some places along the gulf coast (like south and central Texas, Louisiana, etc.); all gas is running through SHARED pipelines Translation: Amaco, Shell, Exxon, Sunoco, etc all have their gas coming from the same pipeline when distributing to say, Iowa, Nebraska, etc.

Yes, there are some differences in Octane (ie Sunoco 94). But, gas is gas. Most brands dye their gas AFTER getting it through central pipelines. This is as much for ID purposes as anything else. So.....I always buy my gas at the cheapest place in town

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
True to a point. Due to the lack of refineries in the US most oil is refined into gas at a handful of states and pumped through out the US to various holding points. Once the gas reaches this final destination (holding tanks) the oil companies then do their "branding" to the generic gas product by adding, dye, detergents and oxygenates (MTBE or Ethanol). So yes there is a difference in gas as far as the final product goes that reaches the pumps. That is why GM has come out with the following press release.
http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...nt_042905.html
Old 05-10-2005, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

My last tank of premium (from BP) was $2.19/gal.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Launching!

I still have yet to see anyone say 7-11 Citgo. That is the only place I go, and that is probably because they are on just about every corner down here. Race track gas stations and sunoco arent as clsoe as 7-11. I havent tried any of the V-power or techron yet. I just have on quick question, my girlfriends dad has an 04 gto, and he only puts 89 in it? I told him I only put 93 in mine. He said when he broke it in he was putting 93 in it, but now he only runs 89. He said it doesnt need 93, 89 works just as good. Any thoughts on that?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Red99TransAm
I still have yet to see anyone say 7-11 Citgo. That is the only place I go, and that is probably because they are on just about every corner down here. Race track gas stations and sunoco arent as clsoe as 7-11. I havent tried any of the V-power or techron yet. I just have on quick question, my girlfriends dad has an 04 gto, and he only puts 89 in it? I told him I only put 93 in mine. He said when he broke it in he was putting 93 in it, but now he only runs 89. He said it doesnt need 93, 89 works just as good. Any thoughts on that?
Stock, it should be able to run on 89. It might not be performing as well though. Some people run 89 in their stock LS1's no problem, others get mad knock if they do the same. Or so I am told...
Old 05-11-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

you guys are lucky as hell! my car loved sunoco 93, ran like a dream, then i moved to canadas version of California with shitty 91 and my car knocks and bad mileage!

Quick Reply: Is There A Difference In Gas?