Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Help with ? fuel pressure ? or pinging...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with ? fuel pressure ? or pinging...

Good day people. My question is dumb, and simple.

First, I have had bad problems with pinging, in the upper RPMs. I have new OEM plugs, and just added MSD wires. I had the pinging before changing these recently. I have also change the fuel filter. Additionally, I have SEAFOAM' d the vehicle, sucking it through the vacuum line to the booster, and spraying through the throttle body.

I person advised me to check the injectors and fuel pump, for clogging, or impending failure ( I have also treated the fuel system. ) Now, the QUESTION is: If I had a fuel system problem, wouldn' t my O2s read low, on my Predator? With a custom tune, I read a little rich, 940mV. I know the O2s aren' t the most accurate way to ready what' s going on, but, if I had a pump going out, or clogged injectors, wouldn' t my O2s be lower?

Thanks for your input. I had tried searching but didn' t really find something relatable to my question.

P.S. Any good tips, besides the usual ones, for pinging?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cant tell by looking at your stock o2's. get this for $40 and check your fuel pressure for yourself. Its only a temporary fuel pressure gauge but you will know for sure if you are loosing fuel pressure while you floor it on the street. I got it from casper. Received it very quickly:

https://www.casperselectronics.com/M...Category_Code=
Old 10-26-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Cool. Thanks very much for your help.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:13 AM
Moderately Differentiated

if fuel pressure isn't an issue then throw some race gas(100+ octane) in it and see if that cures it.(not a permanent fix, just a troubleshooting method) How much have you messed with the timing w/that predator?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

tell us what your timing is set to also
Old 10-27-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

100 eliminates the pinging. I have not adjusted the timing in the Predator. I can pull all the timing out sometimes, and it will still be there. Sometimes it is there even in 60* weather. I have seen that the timing is around 25* or so. I have Seafoamed throught the TB and the booster vacuum hose, with little improvement, so far. Maybe I haven' t burned it all out yet...

Thanks
Old 10-27-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Does the car use oil? Do you have a catch can? If the pcv is blowing enough oil vapor into the intake to cause the carbon deposits, then treating it with seafoam will not show much of an improvement over the long term. I had the same problem with my car. Seafoam would help reduce the kr for a couple of days and then it would come back. Adding a catch can, maxing out PE fuel on my predator, and backing off timing at wot got rid of the audible knock, but it still showed up on the scanner. This was on a lid only car with 90k miles. My injectors were maxing out at wot running >90% and spiking to 100% at times. I got fed up with dealing with it so I decided to get more aggressive. I installed an ls6 intake and deleted egr, installed ls6 valley cover, installed 36# injectors, and started using hptuners. I did this all at once, and before adjusting my ve, pe, or timing tables I had eliminated the kr completely. I have since added the LTs and catted y and still have no kr.
Take a look at you injector duty cycles when you are picking up kr. Carbon deposits act like a sponge and soak up fuel that would otherwise be used for combustion. This increases the fueling requirements of the engine and further stresses the injectors. With LTs on the car, the O2s are more inaccurate when trying to determine afr. You probably should take it to a dyno shop and have them hook up a wideband to see what your afr is before determining that it is running rich.