Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

How to mix Xylene?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to mix Xylene?

I no longer can get Sunoco 94 octane fuel and now I noticed my car getting some detonation and I assume it's due to the 93 octane I have been putting in it. I didn't think one octane would make that much of a difference so I was thinking of mixing Xylene into my 93 and was wondering if someone could give me some proportions to use and let me know if if Xylene can cause any side effects to my car. I'm only looking for a blend that will yield 95 octane. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about xylene, but toulene I think you can mix as little as 3 to 4 gallons to one gallon 93 or something like that, I forget. toulene has an octane rating of 114 I think. I researched this a while back. If I can remember correctly, people recommended using toulene instead of xylene due to xylene not having lubricants in it's mix and could harm fuel lines. Toulene has the lubricants and is supposedly alright to use. You can use xylene but have to mix some other additives to it to get the lubrication you need. It was something about mixing xylene, marvel mistory oil, and something else. Do a search and you will find what your looking for. It's all over the net. I have used toulene in my 93z and I can tell you I did notice a difference in the way the car ran. I forget what I mixed it to, but it was on the safe side. 3 gallons of 93 octane to one gallon toluene will net you 98.25 octane. formula gallons of gas x octane + 1 gallon 114/4 so 3x93+114/4=98.25. Hope this helped a little. It's been awhile since of read up on it. Do a google search for toluene ontane booster and you will find everything you need to know.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Launching!

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

Xylene is mixed the same way toulene is. With any high octane mix your gonna need lube's in it so it doesn't eat up the rubber parts of your fuel system. But i never did put anything in my GTP when i used the xylene (1 gallon to 4 gallons of 93-94 gas) but i never used it alot. Most likely you won't beable to find toulene i never could so i used xylene just as good, just make sure it's 100% xylene.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. I'll do more research on the subject and see what I come up with.

Quick Reply: How to mix Xylene?