Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

bad fuel fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad fuel fuel pump?

I was driving down the road with the tank at about 1/4 full and my car starts studdering like it's running out of gas. I immediatly pulled over and shut the car off. I then went and got about 2 gallons of gas to put in it. When I filled it up and tried to start the car it was turning over but not firing. I tried priming the fuel pump and everything. After about 30 minutes I had it towed to a GM dealership.

They are saying that I've probably burned out my fuel pump and they want $900 to fix it. My question is, does anyone think it could be anything else? If it is the fuel pump, how hard is it to replace myself and is there a guide somewhere I can read over.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 12:40 PM
FormerVendor

The 98 cars are fairly easy to mount a better Walbro 255 pump into. even if you do not think you can do the work you should be able to find a good shop cappable of it for far less. The Walbro pumps are $129.99 Should be able to find some good pics and writeups on this forum.

Nate
Old 07-18-2006, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

I would most certainly guarantee you that it is your fuel pump. Whenever they are going out they normally fail when the tank is low. Mine failed with about 2 gallons of gas still in the tank. Ive got a 98 z28 with the ls1 and I did my own Walbro install. Took about 4 hours with trap door method. I can definetly help you through this install and have probably the best guide out there for the trap door install. First however, just change out your fuel filter because thats a 10 dollar replacement that needs to be done anytime your pump goes out and it justs good regular maintenance. I clogged filter could also cause this and you dont wanna spend a whole lot of money if its just your filter. Oh and as far as the dealership wanting 900, **** that. Im positive a great shop would only charge you 5 hours and it wouldnt be over 400 for labor. Turn your key forward and listen closely for your stock pump to whine. If you dont hear it its definetly your pump. One more thing may be causing this also...CHECK YOU DAMN FUEL PUMP FUSE!!!...lol...let me know if you have anymore questions bro...Josh.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Teching In

I also have a prob with my fuel pump, its makeing a loud whineing noise and when i floor it it feels like im driving a kia spectra or something, cause it looses all of its power as the rpms go up, it feels like im not actually moveing, could it be my fuel pump?
Old 07-19-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chrisryn64
I was driving down the road with the tank at about 1/4 full and my car starts studdering like it's running out of gas. I immediatly pulled over and shut the car off. I then went and got about 2 gallons of gas to put in it. When I filled it up and tried to start the car it was turning over but not firing. I tried priming the fuel pump and everything. After about 30 minutes I had it towed to a GM dealership.

They are saying that I've probably burned out my fuel pump and they want $900 to fix it. My question is, does anyone think it could be anything else? If it is the fuel pump, how hard is it to replace myself and is there a guide somewhere I can read over.

Thanks
have them put it through the GM scanner to make sure u dont get a 601 code.