Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump retaining ring

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Fuel pump retaining ring

Search isn't working (of course, as I have the car apart in the garage).

Is there any trick to getting off that metal ring that holds the fuel bucket to the tank? I've spent about 2 hours whacking it with a chisel, punch, screwdriver, extension, about anything I could find. Soaked it in PB Blaster, and even knocked it back clockwise to see if it would loosen up at all. I can't get the F'n thing off! It'll budge about 1/4", and won't go any further.

Any advice?
Old 03-31-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same problem 1st time removing - after that it will go on & off easier.

If you have got it knocked around a little bit - you will notice that a small space has opened up between the slot in the ring and the tab on each tab. I used a screwdriver with small blade, inserted it into this space, and pried the ring against the tab to remove the ring a little at a time - going around to each tab in turn.

Hope this make sense...

-Jay-
Old 03-31-2007, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know if it is the same ring as in a van, but we changed a fuel pump out the other day in a Savannah. There were two holes in the ring and my uncle had a tool that squeezed it and it popped right up. I don't know if this helps
Old 04-01-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
I had the exact same problem 1st time removing - after that it will go on & off easier.

If you have got it knocked around a little bit - you will notice that a small space has opened up between the slot in the ring and the tab on each tab. I used a screwdriver with small blade, inserted it into this space, and pried the ring against the tab to remove the ring a little at a time - going around to each tab in turn.

Hope this make sense...

-Jay-
Good advice! I went at it again today and tried prying at each tab opening, and it worked.

Also, leg pressing the gas tank back in place while trying to start the bolt in the holes for the straps (and having the threaded inserts in the frame constantly move around) is not fun for anyone.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you could make heads or tails out of my description

I actually had my wife under the car helping with the tank re-install - suprisingly enough, it worked out fine...

Quick Reply: Fuel pump retaining ring