Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump ?? please help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Fuel pump ?? please help.

Took my car to the local Chevy dealership today to DX my car.
Problem is, i think my FP is going out.
I have to crank my car a few sec's before it starts, when it used to just fire right up when i hit the ignition.
My car has 90K & have ruled out plugs,wires,etc. they are all new.
Chevy guy hooked a FP guage up to it, showed 55psi. he left for lunch came back & it had dropped consderably in an hours time.
HE says the FP motor is not pumping the fuel through the lines? It's simply "flowing" up there for now. (his words)
He states parts/labor will be $1200.00!!!!
F@$#% that, i will do it myself!
I found a FP @ auto Zone for $375.00.
The chevy guy said that it is more than a FP.
It is a complete unit module.
Please help me here..... I am @ a loss!
how hard is it to do? He said i had to drop my Borla & pull the tank completely off.
Can you help me please??
Matt
Old 04-02-2003, 05:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Fuel pump ?? please help.

He is right, you will have to drop the exhaust,pan hard bar and the tank to get the new fuel pump in. You might even have to take out the rear springs. I had to do it with my girlfriends 91 Z, it wasnt very fun. It's not as hard as you think once you tear into it. I don't exactly know what he meant by the whole module? I think that he is just trying to screw you! You will have to get the whole pump and accesories with it. Filter screen,new gasket for the pump. Usually that is all included in the package.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Fuel pump ?? please help.

you can get a replacement/upgrade pump from a sponsor or in the for sale section and replace it with a stock pump from a 99+ car or upgrade it.. there will be a little modification to the bracket if you upgrade to a walbro pump

all in all you should be able to do it yourself for just the cost of the pump or have any shop do it for under $500.. its about a 5 hour job on a lift MAX.