Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Need help w/ Propane Injection. LS1

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help w/ Propane Injection. LS1

Hey guys,

>How does propane injection go hooked up?
Is it just a like a nitrous kit except for the N2O bottle (propane >bottle) and nitrous silenoid (fuel selenoid)?
>Where does it go injected at?
>Can a kit be made out of a nitrous dry kit?
>How much of a difference would it make on a turboed car running 91 oct.?
>

The reason I'm asking is because i'm turboing my Z28 LS1 and w/ gas prices being up so high, 100 octane is $5 a gal. Besides i'm going to test this new Twin Turbo kit of mine to the full extent before i recommend it to anyone. That means running it @ (engine safe) high boost levels, making sure everything holds up, taking the turbos to redline and just putting the whole kit through hell. Any questions, comments or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
Old 04-17-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help w/ Propane Injection. LS1

I'll chime in since I have done this on my TT Incon car. My kit is one of the first kits that Dynamic Racing produced for the 3000GT market.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> How does propane injection go hooked up?
Is it just a like a nitrous kit except for the N2O bottle (propane >bottle) and nitrous silenoid (fuel selenoid)? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The propane is connected in a very similar manner to a dry NOS. The install instructions have the propane spraying before the MAF. Originally I thought that this might cause the MAF to add more fuel, but in my case I was maxing out the MAF about the time that the Hobbs switch would kick on the propane anyway, so it really didn't matter for me.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Can a kit be made out of a nitrous dry kit? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think that this would work, NOS solenoids can be used to spray propane (although the solenoid that came with my kit is not an NOS solenoid) and propane can be jetted just like NOS. Propane is at a much lower pressure then NOS, so the lines should be fine for this kind of use.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> How much of a difference would it make on a turboed car running 91 oct.? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I didn't have a chance to get the kit on they dyno with the propane and didn't have a ton of time to tune with it, but my AFR (measured on a in-car WB O2 setup) dropped a full point with a relatively small propane jet. If I remember correctly I was able to run ~3 more psi of boost (for a total of 7.5psi) on 91 with the jet that I had in there.

I had the propane set to start spraying at 4.5psi to be safe for the street. I am going to be doing more testing when the car is back up and running.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help w/ Propane Injection. LS1

Also, something to keep in mind is that you really need a bottle heater with propane to keep the bottle pressure at a constant for tuning.

Ambient temperature fluctuates so much that you could be lean in the morning/evening (due to cold temps/low bottle pressure) and rich in the afternoon (warmer temps/higher bottle pressure).

A few places are working on bottle heaters for propane setups for just this reason.

Scott

Quick Reply: Need help w/ Propane Injection. LS1