Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Sumped Stock Tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sumped Stock Tank

I purchased the Competition Engineering tank sump and layed it up on the tank. It seems like it is going to take some effort to make it work. The sump is flat where as the bottom of the tank has 2 different angles.

I would like to see some different tank sump setups that you guys are running.

EDIT: This is for my Trans Am
Old 05-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Possible Scammer - Buyer Beware - Issues Unresolved

no returns bitch!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol its nothing welding cannot take care of
Old 05-23-2007, 10:05 AM
FormerVendor

Make sure you get a good welder so as to have no leaks and get it coated after so it does not rust.

Nate
Old 05-23-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Start by removing the flat flange on the 2 long sides. Then hold it where you want it and trace the contour on the sump. Cut to traced line and repeat untill it completely follows the contour of the tank floor.

I just layed a sharpie against the tank and ran it along the side of the sump to transfer the shape. This way took several rounds because the scribed line is only gonna be >1/4" from where you were at a time. But is the best way to get a tight fit.

Once I was happy with the fit, I bent the front and rear flanges to sit against the tank flush, marked the sumps location on the tank, and brought the whole thing to the best damn welder I could find. It MUST be tig welded, and it takes alot of skill because the tank material is thinner than the sump material.

The welder chose to make new flanges for the now contoured long sides as it was easier to weld to the tank that way. They used water to make sure it didnt leak.

Most radiator shops can get you some really good tank sealer to seal all the bare metal afterwards. If not it will rust in no-time.

P.S. if you seal it yourself, dont get that crap on your hands. It wears off rather than washing off.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Seling internally? If so with what? Sorry bringing back an old thread, but thats what search is for...

Quick Reply: Sumped Stock Tank