Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pump Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Pump Problem?

When I took off from a stop sign today, my car acted like it wanted to die. When I stepped on the gas it did not increase the engine speed, car just sat there sputtering. This happened for about 3 or 4 seconds, then all of a sudden it took off like a a scalded ape. talking to some guys around here that know about cars, they say it could be the fuel pump going out? I have 30lb SVO's and still have the stock pump. car has 75K miles on it. Any suggestions on what it could be or what to check? Thanks.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

i am in the middle of the same problem. so far i changed filter and regulator still does it but i think the regulator helped a bit. check fuel pressure and vaccuum. if pressure sux then you can always fab up a shut off valve before the rails to determine if the pump is building pressure or if the regulator is not closing. good luck.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 98 does this on a rare occasion. It does it usually between 1200-1600rpms when it happens then it's fine. There's really nothing that makes it do this either.. it's always totally random