Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

AN Tube Flares

Old 10-17-2007, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AN Tube Flares

I am flaring some tubing for AN fittings using standard non stainless, steel tubing. My question is are AN tube flares typically a single flare or a double flare. I am aware of the angle the flare must be.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:49 AM
TECH Addict

Depending on the type of tubing and material your using:

TYPE
Seamless (MEETS ASTM A213 & A269) could probably get away with single flare - but I personally would still go with double.

Seamed - would definitely only go with double flare as the tubing will tend to split at the seam at flare area. (as an example: most of the tubing you buy in auto parts store for brake lines is seamed and requires double flare)

MATERIAL
If the tubing will show I would go with 316 stainless tubing (can buy from McMaster Carr or Swagelok) then you can also polish it for the 'bling' factor.

Aluminum or copper tubing - go with double flare regardless of tubing wall thickness.

Stainless or plain steel tubing - as stated before, if wall thickness is .035, .049, or .065" you could possibly get away with single flare - but I would still use double.

When choosing whether to single or double flare - the type of tubing (seamless/seamed) takes precedence over material used (i.e. if you have a SS tube with heavy wall thickness, but it is of seamed construction, go with double)

-Jay-
Old 10-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Teching In

inverted double flare (like used for brake lines) is a 45deg flare. The typical flare required for AN fittings is a 37deg single flare.

Search this Thread