Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

OCTANE BOOSTER?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 01:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OCTANE BOOSTER?

Wassup guys, Im gonna be running my car this saturday and was wondering if u guys use octane boosters and wat kind? my mods are in my sig. and jes installed my bfg drag radials thanks in advanced.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: OCTANE BOOSTER?

Don't waste your money.

The bottles you can buy at parts stores are a joke including the 104 and NOS brands.

NOS Octane Booster America's Best Octane Booster!
Boost the octane rating of the unleaded gas you are using by 2-7 points, no kidding! NOS® offers three potent octane boosters available either for street, off-road or race that will effectively cure any engine "knocks" or "pings" that you may be experiencing.
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin.../OctBoost.html

Thats 2-7 points.... WOW... A point is very small. 2 points and 93 octane would mean 93.2. 7 points and 93 octane would mean 93.7. Big deal! You'd be better off taking a 5 gallon gas can and buying some unleaded racing fuel. They should sell some good stuff (100 octane) at the track.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

I'd only recommend the 100 octane fuel if you are getting knock or detonation. Higher octane fuel does not add power, and it may actually reduce it. Ideally you should run as low of an octane as possible (without pinging), this will give you maximum HP due to better fuel combustion.

Don't waste your money.

The bottles you can buy at parts stores are a joke including the 104 and NOS brands.

NOS Octane Booster America's Best Octane Booster!
Boost the octane rating of the unleaded gas you are using by 2-7 points, no kidding! NOS® offers three potent octane boosters available either for street, off-road or race that will effectively cure any engine "knocks" or "pings" that you may be experiencing.
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin.../OctBoost.html

Thats 2-7 points.... WOW... A point is very small. 2 points and 93 octane would mean 93.2. 7 points and 93 octane would mean 93.7. Big deal! You'd be better off taking a 5 gallon gas can and buying some unleaded racing fuel. They should sell some good stuff (100 octane) at the track.

Old 06-20-2003, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

What they said! The stuff just doesn't work as advertised, its expensive for negilible gains in octane rating, and I remember using the 104+ in my 89 Turbo Trans Am with 100 octane unleaded (only running 17 psi of boost but I was paranoid) and it actually screwed up the car after a month or two. The car started running like crap, turns out the spark plugs had a red residue crap all over them, the shop asked me right away if I had been using octane booster as they had seen the problem before. Changed the spark plugs and back to normal. Better to buy high octane unleaded and be done with it. Higher octane is less likely to detonate and actually provides less power per unit of fuel, so only go as high as you need to get zero detonation.
Regards,
Old 06-20-2003, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When they were doing research into the possible benefits of 100 octane unleaded, they added 2 bottles of eash popular brand to 10 gallons of gas (Sunoco's research) and as I remember, they had a maximum gain of 4 on the octane scale (94 octane became 98 octane). This was with roughly double the amount suggested....Save the cash. As for the red plugs....common with booster and even more so with high doses....Run some premium and have fun.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With roughly double the suggested "dose" of additive....sorry...wanted to clarify.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:20 AM
11 Second Club

THANKS GUYS FOR THE REPLIES, ILL PROBLY JES LIVE IT ALONE W/ PREMIUM! TOMOROW WILL BE THE FIRST TIME RUNNING MY Z.

Quick Reply: OCTANE BOOSTER?