Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Gauge issues on 01 SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge issues on 01 SS

I just purchased my first LS1 car and I have a few little things I need to fix. First is the fuel gauge, when I start the car it will sometimes show empty and within a few minutes it will return to where it should be. It will also do this sometimes when I am driving, I found out today that it will also go the opposite direction....it went to all the way full while driving.

Any ideas? Is this a ground issue? Maybe a sending unit? Please send me your suggestions. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

mine does that to when its cold it will show empty for just a few seconds ( 10 mabey ) then kicks back up to normal. mines been doing it for like 2 winters now. doesnt seem to hurt anything really ???
Old 01-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Launching!

well i agree it wont hurt anything i am just a kinda guy that likes everything to be is good working order, so i can get it fixed
Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Mine shows completely inaccurate with anything less than 1/2 tank. Over 1/2 tank it's good most of the time. The senders are **** and you need to replace it (drop the tank and all that fun stuff)
Old 01-05-2008, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Usually the fuel sending unit goes bad when the fuel guage starts becoming irratic. Sometimes it will pull a code and sometimes it wont. If you are going to pull your tank, this is a good time to put a walsboro fuel pump in there as well as a sending unit due to the labor. You might already have a upgraded fuel pump but hell for $80 I'd replace it with something I know for sure is done. Plus when you go to heavily mod it you wont have toworry about the fuel pump as being the weak link.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by linegtdt52
Usually the fuel sending unit goes bad when the fuel guage starts becoming irratic. Sometimes it will pull a code and sometimes it wont. If you are going to pull your tank, this is a good time to put a walsboro fuel pump in there as well as a sending unit due to the labor. You might already have a upgraded fuel pump but hell for $80 I'd replace it with something I know for sure is done. Plus when you go to heavily mod it you wont have toworry about the fuel pump as being the weak link.
Well it hasn't pulled a code but I do think I will be dropping the tank. Thanks for the advise man.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

old thread i know but....my car never gets more than about 3 or 4 gallons of gas because I only drive it on weekends. Well last weekend I needed over half a tank and after leaving the station it showed I had a little more than half a tank. Well I get into houston and its showing I have a full tank. What is the problem??? Sending unit?? Wiring??? Did the OP ever find out what was wrong.

thanks in advance