Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Need help with Nasty Performance Fuel Tank!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with Nasty Performance Fuel Tank!!

Hello everyone, Recently i had one of the Nasty Performance Fuel Tanks installed on my 2002 Camaro SS build. I have been having problems with it. Was wondering if anyone could help me out.

It really takes me A LONG TIME to put gas in it and it seems like everytime i pull it in the garage after i take it for a spin it squirts gas out of the vent tube or from somewhere in that location a few times then stops. It has a check valve on top like Nasty N8 recommended. Also i dont know if its evaporating or whats wrong cause i filled it up yesterday went to take it out today and it said 3/4 full. Could it be evaporating or probably spilling on the floor over night. It makes weird noises when the car is off after a cruise, like liquid is spilling somewhere or sloushing around but i cant see anything comming out anywhere. Here are some pics of the setup. I mean i dont mind spending money but money being wasted spilling out on the floor is another story

Thank you

Last edited by BlackCamaroSS02; 03-22-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use a spring loaded check valve? What's your vent setup?

Jim
Old 03-14-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is a setup for the vent tube now?
ive been running this for over a year now, but what is this purple tube?
Old 03-15-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DeltaT
Did you use a spring loaded check valve? What's your vent setup?

Jim
Ill have to find out if it's a spring loaded valve or not. Pretty sure that pic is of my vent setup.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

That looks like a magnafuel rollover valve, which is not spring loaded, has a free floating ball bearing in there. I have the same one and I'm not sure how it actually works. In a straight up and down position the ball bearing sits over the vent hole, and if you tilt it in any direction the vent hole is open.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DanZ28
That looks like a magnafuel rollover valve, which is not spring loaded, has a free floating ball bearing in there. I have the same one and I'm not sure how it actually works. In a straight up and down position the ball bearing sits over the vent hole, and if you tilt it in any direction the vent hole is open.
is there a better way to do this? or maybe a better Valve i can get? how does your set up look compared to mine? do you see anything that needs to be fixed? maybe the vent tube needs to be higher??
Old 03-16-2008, 02:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackCamaroSS02
is there a better way to do this? or maybe a better Valve i can get? how does your set up look compared to mine? do you see anything that needs to be fixed? maybe the vent tube needs to be higher??
Im in the same boat as you bro, I'm actually in the process of installing mine right now. I am thinking about moving the vent tube to the top of the tank, looks like enough room up there and would be better than the side of the tank that way there is no chance for fuel to go up the vent tube like it can on the side where it's at now. I also see people coiling the vent tube around the fill neck a few times.

Also, only way i can see this rollover valve working right, is if the Ball bearing side of it was inside your tank, then you run the vent line up where you have it now. This way, if you flip the car over, the ball bearing will drop down over the hole and seal it from fuel running out. From the pictures you posted, your vent line would be sealed off as its sitting upside down and the ball bearing is sitting directly over your vent hole. This could be part of the problem with filling the tank up. Again, I think the ball bearing end needs to be in the tank to work as a roll over valve, but maybe someone will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. You can just remove it all together and see if it works better?

Dan
Old 03-16-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"Also, only way i can see this rollover valve working right, is if the Ball bearing side of it was inside your tank, then you run the vent line up where you have it now. This way, if you flip the car over, the ball bearing will drop down over the hole and seal it from fuel running out. From the pictures you posted, your vent line would be sealed off as its sitting upside down and the ball bearing is sitting directly over your vent hole. This could be part of the problem with filling the tank up. Again, I think the ball bearing end needs to be in the tank to work as a roll over valve."

+1^
Old 03-16-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
"Also, only way i can see this rollover valve working right, is if the Ball bearing side of it was inside your tank, then you run the vent line up where you have it now. This way, if you flip the car over, the ball bearing will drop down over the hole and seal it from fuel running out. From the pictures you posted, your vent line would be sealed off as its sitting upside down and the ball bearing is sitting directly over your vent hole. This could be part of the problem with filling the tank up. Again, I think the ball bearing end needs to be in the tank to work as a roll over valve."

+1^
Great its supposed to be inside the tank? well thats out i have no more money to do that lol. Dont think Nasty N8 said anything about that. My buddy Fran at RPM who did the work said that is the setup he recomended. Is there another check valve i could put in its place that would work better/different??

I got my dad to fill the car up while i was under it. The gas doesnt come from vent tube it actually gets backed up and flows up out of the filler neck through some holes and underneath the car. The vent set up is completely dry. So i was thinking if i just replaced the valve with a different one might work better.

Last edited by BlackCamaroSS02; 03-16-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

It's hard/impossible to tell from the pic, exactly where, what angle this piece is mounted at/to.
Which hose is it on?
Is it pointing vertically?
Maybe, take it off, and take a pic or 2, and post them?
AIR, wasn't there a thread about this very problem, some time ago??
Like this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=vent+tank
Old 03-16-2008, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Looking at the pic, it is mounted up in the rear quarter panel next to the fill door. At the position of the rollover valve, the ball bearing just sits over the vent hole. If you flip the valve over, it will open up the vent hole, but be useless as a rollover valve as i doubt the bearing is heavy enough to keep the fuel from flowing out. It seems to me you want fuel pushing down on the bearing as it sits over the vent hole (like it would if it was in the tank), rather than having fuel pushing up on the bearing like it would if it was outside the tank.

I would remove the rollover valve all together and see if that helps when filling it up, your tank needs to have a vent, and from the looks of it, it won't work like you have it. I don't know of another type that would work myself.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Looking at the pic, it is mounted up in the rear quarter panel next to the fill door. At the position of the rollover valve, the ball bearing just sits over the vent hole. If you flip the valve over, it will open up the vent hole, but be useless as a rollover valve as i doubt the bearing is heavy enough to keep the fuel from flowing out. It seems to me you want fuel pushing down on the bearing as it sits over the vent hole (like it would if it was in the tank), rather than having fuel pushing up on the bearing like it would if it was outside the tank.

I would remove the rollover valve all together and see if that helps when filling it up, your tank needs to have a vent, and from the looks of it, it won't work like you have it. I don't know of another type that would work myself.
Maybe a catch can setup with a filter on the top as the vent? there any cheap catch cans that would hook up to that braided stanless line?
Old 03-17-2008, 01:17 PM
FormerVendor

I in no way rec. that setup I rec. a longer piece of hose in a couple of loops around the filler neck and then straight up as high as you can get it a filter on top is good practice and yes a catch can with a filter would be a great solution. TANKS MUST BE VENTED TO WORK. I do sell the rollover valves when requested but it is up to the installer to use them properly.

Nate
Old 03-17-2008, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackCamaroSS02
Maybe a catch can setup with a filter on the top as the vent? there any cheap catch cans that would hook up to that braided stanless line?
Like Nate said, a couple people have used a breather/catch can with good success. Look up SVC707's set up, thats how his is.

Dan
Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
I in no way rec. that setup I rec. a longer piece of hose in a couple of loops around the filler neck and then straight up as high as you can get it a filter on top is good practice and yes a catch can with a filter would be a great solution. TANKS MUST BE VENTED TO WORK. I do sell the rollover valves when requested but it is up to the installer to use them properly.

Nate
damn man sorry, Fran at RPM told me he talked to you and thats what you told him to do. I apologize im just going on what he tells me im just the customer. Well looks like i have to fix this now among other things. Again i apologize Nasy N8. I dont know if you recieved my PM i sent you on wed i didnt hear anything back from you. Nasty N8 can i give you a call sometime like tomorrow lol. I really want to fix this and it wasnt taken care of the way it should of been.

Last edited by BlackCamaroSS02; 03-17-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Nates#1

Nates the man!!!! Hes the type of guy that will go out of his way for you!!Thats why i buy from him!!LOL!!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SVC707
there is a setup for the vent tube now?
ive been running this for over a year now, but what is this purple tube?
where do I buy this vent tube setup???
Old 08-12-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont have a vent tube.. i set it up with a radiator over flow can, you can get at summit and altered it some. i should have the photos in the link in my sig somewhere in that thread
Old 08-14-2008, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

We now have a charcoal vent can for the tanks.

nate
Old 08-14-2008, 08:58 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
We now have a charcoal vent can for the tanks.

nate
Hmm, pics/price? I will be calling tomorrow to order one to go with my tank.

Quick Reply: Need help with Nasty Performance Fuel Tank!!