Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

factory fuel cup mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default factory fuel cup mod?

anybody modifying there factory fuel cup that the pump is in? like the hole on the bottom with the rubber flapper. would this help the pump get more fuel by opening the slits up or totally doing away with the flapper?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That rubber flap is used to keep fuel in the bucket, it does not limit fuel. The venturi sucks fuel in & the flap keeps it there if the bucket is uncovered for some reason. It also lets fuel in when the fuel level in the tank is higher than what is in the bucket. Typically the bucket level will be higher than that of the tank when the engine is running. Do not remove it. If you do not have enough fuel, it is the pumps fault.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i totally modified mine.(there is a write up on a search)I put in a walbro, and basicly you dont use the stock fueling method. the bottom of the cup is moddified with a hole in the bottom to fit the pickup of the walbro. the back (flat) panel is cut open to let in fuel, so it dosent "float" in the fuel. pretty much what happens the factory fuel system picks up fuel via hose from the bottom of the cup and fill the fuel cup so the fuel pump dosent starve from sloshing.with (in my case the walbro) the cup is modified to draw fuel directly from tank to pump. down side (if there is one) you'll want to keep at least 1/2 tank or more of gas when racing, so the pump dosent starve.

Hope this awnsers some of your ?'s
Old 03-26-2008, 07:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keeping atleast 1/2 tank is enough of a reason for me to recommend not doing it. I know the factory venturi system will support all that a walbro pump will provide, so why modify it. The factory went to a lot of trouble to make a non-baffled tank work properly in these cars.

After further research, I also believe the original post was related to a LT1 setup which is different anyway. The check valve in the LT1 bucket helps to keep the pump primed, since it draws directly from the tank without a venturi. Removing this can cause the pump to be harder to get pressure at initial key on, but may increase flow slightly.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, upgraded mine for nitrous.as far as the lt1, i saw chevelle,lt1 motor ,255 pump so......
Old 03-28-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i unfortunately did modify it and it does make it harder to prime on startup. definitely regret it now. it doesnt keep the fuel system pressurized.So i definitely dont recomend anybody do this lol