Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Discussion: Fuel system cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discussion: Fuel system cleaners

It seems to me that everytime I use some fuel system cleaner that there just seems to be more and more of them. Who among you has a choice brand and why do you use that brand. Also post if you think that they do/don't work or are just a waist, and tell why. Keeping your fuel system clean is important we all know that. so that leads me to belive some of these products have to work.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Discussion: Fuel system cleaners

I dump a 12oz bottle of Techron in every once and a while... actually twice since I owned the car(1 year and a half)
The first time was because I ran out of gas and I didn't want to hurt my baby... the SES light was on for a few days, one night on an empty road I go on it and the light went away and never came back at around 80mph
Old 08-02-2003, 09:39 AM
Launching!

i use lucas inj. cleaner,
its like an oilbase cleaner so it will not dry out your
fuelpump impeller, inj. seals, and etc...
it lubricates your fuel system, and inj.
a lot of other cleaners have MEK, acetone,methanol
which is bad
i thought since it is an oilbase it would cause pinging
but it dont.
a lot of engine builders out here use it, and premote it
i have not had any problems yet.

as for topend, or t/b cleaner i have found that
GM topend cleaner you can get at a GM dealer
works best
hope that helpes
Old 08-02-2003, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Best thing I have ever seen for injectors is made by borg warner and is a aerosol can that you attach at the rail and run off the can after pulling the fp fuse. I have used it many many times with great success. I have also used lucas products not their injector cleaner but I have had nothing but good things to say about their other products. For just rutine maitance I use valvoline pour in fuel system cleaner, I have had my car for 8k miels and have used it twice....not that it needed it im just kind of ****.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

I have heard alot of good things about Techron. Supposedly it is the same set of detergents they add to their premium gasoline. I personally use Redline fuel system cleaner. It is detergent based so it does not harm fuel systems and BMW sells it under their own part number and recommends it for use in all of their vehicles. I have been using it for over two years now in my Vehicles (2000 GTP,93 Sunbird,and 2000 Honda VTR1000) I know it works to clean deposits off of valves because I have seen it clean a load of deposits off of my VTR's intake valves (Bike was running very rich after a pilot jet install.I have the carbs off once a week it seems.I have used it in the GTP since new so I can't tell you what it is like without it. I started using it in the the sunbird when I bought it used in 99. The car had some bad hesitation problems and after a full tank of gas and 1 full bottle of Redline fuel system cleaner the hesitation was gone. I continue to use it in that vehicle and the hesitation never reappered. As far as fuel system cleaners go it is hard to remove deposits once they are there. Your best bet once they are in effect is to have them cleaned by a very aggressive cleaner such as those used by dealers that plug directly into the rails. If you wish to prevent the problem in the first place and clean up minor deposits you can't go wrong with Redline.

BTW. When the cleaner got to work on my bike I could actually see a dirty brown sticky fluid run out of my pipe joints. I went through 4 gallons of gas and yanked the carbs off and there was no more heavy deposits on my intake valves.