Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pump/Dropping Tank Write Up

Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I was thinking of doing a how to but really its all about getting your rear to hang low and a couple of different little things like the bolts to hold in the fuel pump assembly and no bolt to hold in the filler neck
Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

I wonder how much more work and what would be need it to put a plastic tank in a 98 I been running ok with my set up but im sure the fuel pump will need changing sooner or later it has 116k on it but still going strong car has made a little over 500 rwhp go figure I thought it was going to run out of fuel but it has not 67% duty cycle on 42 bosh injectors
Old 08-06-2008, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by the big kahuna
I wonder how much more work and what would be need it to put a plastic tank in a 98 I been running ok with my set up but im sure the fuel pump will need changing sooner or later it has 116k on it but still going strong car has made a little over 500 rwhp go figure I thought it was going to run out of fuel but it has not 67% duty cycle on 42 bosh injectors
really at ~500RWHP i ran out of fuel pump on my 98 with 42# injectors. I did have a pinched fuel line that I am replacing though.

As for the plastic tank not a bad idea but if your going to keep going why not fuel cell it will make everything easier
Old 08-06-2008, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Ive seen a lot of people asking for a write up on doing a fuel pump swap and dropping the tank, including me, so I decided to try my hand at one. I tried to document the process fairly well and take pictures of everything I could (when I remembered).

First off I am going to say that this was a pain in the *** to do. A lot of little things went wrong that made the whole thing come to a halt. Things like the exhaust pipes begin <1/4" to close to slide the tank out between them made the job a lot harder. Overall it took around 6-7hrs from start to finish working at a VERY relaxed pace and breaks for food etc. If you worked hard at it and didnt run into any roadblocks, you could prob get it done in half the time. For the record I was installing a racetronix pump and the hotwire kit.

1- First off you want to get the car HIGH up and then let the rear hang down. I jacked it up by the diff and then put the jack stands under the frame so it would drop as far as possible.

2- After that youll want to remove the gas cap and holder on top of the filler neck. Just open up the gas tank and remove the 2 (or maybe 3) philips head screws and just pull it out, cap and all.

3- Look underneath the car right where the other side of the gas lid would be. There should be a black piece of plastic that is tucked into tabs. Pop it out of the tabs and look inside and youll see the filler neck. There is a 10mm bolt that you will have to unscrew to free the neck. Its a lot easier if someone holds the neck while you do this.

4- Now youre going to remove the heat shields for the gastank. There is one big one (that is already removed in the pic) that has six bolts on it. Two on the upper panhard bar, two on the gas tank, and one on each side on the frame (red circles). These bolts have very shallow heads, so they are a pain if you have a taperd socket. The second smaller heat shield has 3 bolts (blue circles) that are pretty obvious.

5- Next you have to unbolt at least the top of the upper panhard bar. There are 3x 15mm bolts holding it into the frame. I had to remove both the upper and lower panard bars. This makes a lot of room. To do this there are two bolts with a nut holding the lower panhard in and one holding the upper in. If you want a walkthrough to that go to www.ls1howto.com. Its really pretty simple though.

6- Now youre going to have to remove the fuel lines and electrical connectors. I started at the fuel filter, because you will have to remove it anyway. Just pinch the clip on one side to remove the small end and grab the filter/nut on the other end and loosen it. Gas is going to pour out of it so watch out. Again, if you need to see how to do this, www.ls1howto.com. I also removed the 10mm bolt holding the clip that holds the fuel lines together so I could take the line from the filter and free it up from the others.

The other two fuel lines are simply disconnected. One you just pinch with your fingers, the other you just pinch with needle nose pliers to remove it (like the fuel filter). For the electrical connectors just pop the locks and pull them out. They will only go in one way so you dont have to worry about mixing them up.

7- Finally Its time to drop the tank. This is assuming your exhaust is out of the way. I had true duals run under the axle, so I didnt have to worry about this. There are two straps with bolts on either side of the tank. It will take a good sized extension to reach them. If youre doing this on your own, I would recommend getting a jack to support the tank because that sob is heavy. It is a lot easier having someone else to help maneuver it out though. Just take the bolts out and bend the straps to get them to clear the tank. You can bend them back to shape so dont worry about forcing them a little. After this, the tank should slide out with a little work to make the filter neck clear. Try sliding the pass side out first.

8- This picture shows what you should be looking at in front of you. Undo the electrical connectors (red) and set them aside. Use a small hammer to tap the lock around the pump assembly until it rotates enough to come off. The blue line in the picture is roughly where you want the wiring to go when you put the tank back together. You want it to hang down the back towards the drivers side. Inspect your tank at this point to see if there is any crap in it. Racetronix recommends you drain and clean the tank. I couldnt because there was a lot more gas than I thought in the tank and I had no where to dispose of it. The tank looked remarkably clean inside anyway so I don think it was that big of a deal.

9- From this point the instructions from racetronix covers everything you need to know up to putting the pump back in, so Im not going to go over that. One thing to note: Before reinstalling the pump bucket I filled it with gas to make sure the pump had gas to prime. This is optional, but just a saftey step.

10- After you have the pump back in, everything is going to go pretty much in reverse. Tap the lock the other way to secure the pump assembly in to the tank. Now the harness will only fit one way. I cant really describe how it fits, and I failed to take a pic of this, but its pretty easy to see which connectors go together. Like I said before, run the wires towards the back drivers side of the tank.

11- Lift the tank up by the drives side first, making sure the filler neck goes in the hole in the frame to the gas tank opening. Bend the straps back over the tank and put the bolts back in the holes to secure it.

12- Now put the electrical connectors back in the spot on the body. Reconnect the fuel lines and run the line for the filter back through the same holder that it was in, but dont replace the bolt to tighten it yet. Put the filter in and then but the bolt in the holder securing the lines so you have a little play to get the filter in.

13- There is a bolt to the left of the electrical connectors on the body that is another bracket for the fuel lines. Unbolt that and then clean the area with a wire brush to get a good connection. Put the ground on (closest to body) then the relay on that bolt and then put it the bolt back in. This is what the relay should look like, pic taken from racetronix.

14- Now reattach the upper and lower panhard bars, the bolt for the filler neck, exhaust, and heat shields etc in the reverse order you removed them.

15a- I ran the wiring along the fuel lines. I kept it all on the drivers side as opposed to crossing it over like racetronix recommends. I just followed the fuel lines along the drivers side and went up under the heat shield by the drivers side header. I attached the positive lead to the battery terminal by the fuse boxes. The eyehole on the lead needs to be enlarged a little bit too to fit on that bolt. This is a diagram of how I ran the wire.

15b- If you follow racetronix path, you will run the wires over the transmission hump when you get to it and then run them up to the alternator/battery along the pass side header area. Just make sure its protected from the heat.

16- Take the negative cable and positive cables off the battery. Push the factory nuts out of the cables and insert the new brass ones to replace them. Attach the new ground wire to the new bolt on the negative terminal. If you put the power lead on the battery, youll attach it on the same way you did the ground cable.

This finishes the install. Make sure to follow the instructions that racetronix gives you like filling the bucket with gas before you put it back in the tank, putting at least 10 gallons in the tank before you prime it, and priming it 3 times before starting.

I only had a few problems with this install. First was getting the tank out/in. This was remedied by taking my tail pipes off. I am getting a custom exhaust done anyway and I dont mind dumps for now. The second was the clear pump tube in the pump would NOT go on to the assembly no matter what. I ended up putting the clamp on the tube about 1/8" (maybe less) from the top of the bucket. Other than that it worked out pretty well.

Hope this helps everyone out. It was my first attempt at a write up, so if anyone has any suggestions/corrections just post up and let me know. Good luck to whoevers taking on this task
good writeup i got a g5x3 on a 112 has maybe 2k on it im asking 300 +shipping pm me if interested,thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

takin care of this tomorrow....hope it works!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Saving this post for roll bar install.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Subscribing
Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,087 Likes on 716 Posts

Really useful thread.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default wiring & exhaust?

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Ive seen a lot of people asking for a write up on doing a fuel pump swap and dropping the tank, including me, so I decided to try my hand at one. I tried to document the process fairly well and take pictures of everything I could (when I remembered).

First off I am going to say that this was a pain in the *** to do. A lot of little things went wrong that made the whole thing come to a halt. Things like the exhaust pipes begin <1/4" to close to slide the tank out between them made the job a lot harder. Overall it took around 6-7hrs from start to finish working at a VERY relaxed pace and breaks for food etc. If you worked hard at it and didnt run into any roadblocks, you could prob get it done in half the time. For the record I was installing a racetronix pump and the hotwire kit.

1- First off you want to get the car HIGH up and then let the rear hang down. I jacked it up by the diff and then put the jack stands under the frame so it would drop as far as possible.

2- After that youll want to remove the gas cap and holder on top of the filler neck. Just open up the gas tank and remove the 2 (or maybe 3) philips head screws and just pull it out, cap and all.

3- Look underneath the car right where the other side of the gas lid would be. There should be a black piece of plastic that is tucked into tabs. Pop it out of the tabs and look inside and youll see the filler neck. There is a 10mm bolt that you will have to unscrew to free the neck. Its a lot easier if someone holds the neck while you do this.

4- Now youre going to remove the heat shields for the gastank. There is one big one (that is already removed in the pic) that has six bolts on it. Two on the upper panhard bar, two on the gas tank, and one on each side on the frame (red circles). These bolts have very shallow heads, so they are a pain if you have a taperd socket. The second smaller heat shield has 3 bolts (blue circles) that are pretty obvious.

5- Next you have to unbolt at least the top of the upper panhard bar. There are 3x 15mm bolts holding it into the frame. I had to remove both the upper and lower panard bars. This makes a lot of room. To do this there are two bolts with a nut holding the lower panhard in and one holding the upper in. If you want a walkthrough to that go to www.ls1howto.com. Its really pretty simple though.

6- Now youre going to have to remove the fuel lines and electrical connectors. I started at the fuel filter, because you will have to remove it anyway. Just pinch the clip on one side to remove the small end and grab the filter/nut on the other end and loosen it. Gas is going to pour out of it so watch out. Again, if you need to see how to do this, www.ls1howto.com. I also removed the 10mm bolt holding the clip that holds the fuel lines together so I could take the line from the filter and free it up from the others.

The other two fuel lines are simply disconnected. One you just pinch with your fingers, the other you just pinch with needle nose pliers to remove it (like the fuel filter). For the electrical connectors just pop the locks and pull them out. They will only go in one way so you dont have to worry about mixing them up.

7- Finally Its time to drop the tank. This is assuming your exhaust is out of the way. I had true duals run under the axle, so I didnt have to worry about this. There are two straps with bolts on either side of the tank. It will take a good sized extension to reach them. If youre doing this on your own, I would recommend getting a jack to support the tank because that sob is heavy. It is a lot easier having someone else to help maneuver it out though. Just take the bolts out and bend the straps to get them to clear the tank. You can bend them back to shape so dont worry about forcing them a little. After this, the tank should slide out with a little work to make the filter neck clear. Try sliding the pass side out first.

8- This picture shows what you should be looking at in front of you. Undo the electrical connectors (red) and set them aside. Use a small hammer to tap the lock around the pump assembly until it rotates enough to come off. The blue line in the picture is roughly where you want the wiring to go when you put the tank back together. You want it to hang down the back towards the drivers side. Inspect your tank at this point to see if there is any crap in it. Racetronix recommends you drain and clean the tank. I couldnt because there was a lot more gas than I thought in the tank and I had no where to dispose of it. The tank looked remarkably clean inside anyway so I don think it was that big of a deal.

9- From this point the instructions from racetronix covers everything you need to know up to putting the pump back in, so Im not going to go over that. One thing to note: Before reinstalling the pump bucket I filled it with gas to make sure the pump had gas to prime. This is optional, but just a saftey step.

10- After you have the pump back in, everything is going to go pretty much in reverse. Tap the lock the other way to secure the pump assembly in to the tank. Now the harness will only fit one way. I cant really describe how it fits, and I failed to take a pic of this, but its pretty easy to see which connectors go together. Like I said before, run the wires towards the back drivers side of the tank.

11- Lift the tank up by the drives side first, making sure the filler neck goes in the hole in the frame to the gas tank opening. Bend the straps back over the tank and put the bolts back in the holes to secure it.

12- Now put the electrical connectors back in the spot on the body. Reconnect the fuel lines and run the line for the filter back through the same holder that it was in, but dont replace the bolt to tighten it yet. Put the filter in and then but the bolt in the holder securing the lines so you have a little play to get the filter in.

13- There is a bolt to the left of the electrical connectors on the body that is another bracket for the fuel lines. Unbolt that and then clean the area with a wire brush to get a good connection. Put the ground on (closest to body) then the relay on that bolt and then put it the bolt back in. This is what the relay should look like, pic taken from racetronix.

14- Now reattach the upper and lower panhard bars, the bolt for the filler neck, exhaust, and heat shields etc in the reverse order you removed them.

15a- I ran the wiring along the fuel lines. I kept it all on the drivers side as opposed to crossing it over like racetronix recommends. I just followed the fuel lines along the drivers side and went up under the heat shield by the drivers side header. I attached the positive lead to the battery terminal by the fuse boxes. The eyehole on the lead needs to be enlarged a little bit too to fit on that bolt. This is a diagram of how I ran the wire.

15b- If you follow racetronix path, you will run the wires over the transmission hump when you get to it and then run them up to the alternator/battery along the pass side header area. Just make sure its protected from the heat.

16- Take the negative cable and positive cables off the battery. Push the factory nuts out of the cables and insert the new brass ones to replace them. Attach the new ground wire to the new bolt on the negative terminal. If you put the power lead on the battery, youll attach it on the same way you did the ground cable.

This finishes the install. Make sure to follow the instructions that racetronix gives you like filling the bucket with gas before you put it back in the tank, putting at least 10 gallons in the tank before you prime it, and priming it 3 times before starting.

I only had a few problems with this install. First was getting the tank out/in. This was remedied by taking my tail pipes off. I am getting a custom exhaust done anyway and I dont mind dumps for now. The second was the clear pump tube in the pump would NOT go on to the assembly no matter what. I ended up putting the clamp on the tube about 1/8" (maybe less) from the top of the bucket. Other than that it worked out pretty well.

Hope this helps everyone out. It was my first attempt at a write up, so if anyone has any suggestions/corrections just post up and let me know. Good luck to whoevers taking on this task

Edit: Please dont quote the write up in posts
nice write up thanks.
?1. where did the wire go though the fire wall? (image shows it ending at the master cylinder) . I'm only aware of a hole in the fire wall behind the cpu.
?2. nice exhaust bet it sounds good. don't see a muffler is it extremely loud? any problems w/ ground clearance?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
nice write up thanks.
?1. where did the wire go though the fire wall? (image shows it ending at the master cylinder) . I'm only aware of a hole in the fire wall behind the cpu.
?2. nice exhaust bet it sounds good. don't see a muffler is it extremely loud? any problems w/ ground clearance?

Thanks
Re-read 15a.

If you want to run it through the firewall on the drivers side you'll need to remove the drivers side wiper and cowl.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default fuel line

Ok I haven't looked that close at the fuel line I'm assumming it goe's under the master cylinder then under the body.
haven't done any fuel mods yet however I would prefer to run a wire inside the body is there a hole near the drivers side wiper and cowl?

off topic for 99Bluz28

Dude when are you taking the plunge and going for the VHP cam!

also the yella terra rockers are not recommended they are heavy and will slow the reving process.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2009, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I'm putting a 2000 z back together that has no fuel system, is there a link somewhere that details what each outlet is on the tank?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Launching!

^^^^ This thread may help you as ChevyChad has most of lines outlined. Scroll down to post #8. Hope this helps.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...-write-up.html
Old 09-15-2009, 04:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Nice, very helpful.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Okay question, what is the single black outlet and single white outlet. I know the 3 outlets are the feed, evap and the return.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice writeup... if you want to do a fuel pump the correct way
Old 09-19-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Okay question, what is the single black outlet and single white outlet. I know the 3 outlets are the feed, evap and the return.
From the picture you posted you're missing the EVAP canister vent solenoid that goes on the back part of the tank, it's boxed shaped. The black single feed ties into it. I believe its called the fuel limiter vent valve.

I'm not sure what the white one is. From the pictures I've seen the hose comes down around the evap box I mentioned above... I'm not sure what it connects too though
Old 09-20-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ive alwasy thought that u have to drop the back axle too when droping the gas tank, me bad.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dropping tank ?

I had my fuel sending unit out in less than 30 minutes, but I did not drop the tank.

I did the Hole on top of where the sending unit is with my panel cutter. Carpet covers it so I'm not worried.
I cut another piece of metal and painted it to cover the hole.

Not everyone wants to cut a hole in their car so this write up will help you guys.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Just what I was looking for. Good write up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump/Dropping Tank Write Up