Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Intermittent Cranking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Cranking Problem

I have a stock 98 Z28. Sometimes it will crank right up and sometimes it will just turn over and turn over and not start-up, then 30 minutes later it will start up. The problem is that it doesn't get any fuel because I can spray starting fluid in it and it will start up and then die. I can hear the fuel pump running, but I haven't tested the fuel pressure.

I have HP tuners, but I have almost no idea how to use it, but my injectors are firing according to HP Tuners. Does anybody have any ideas what it might be???
Old 06-29-2008, 12:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car will crank sometimes and not others than the spark should be ok. I would then lean to the fuel side. Start with the basics like a new fuel filter. If that doen't help then when you do get it to crank be prepared to do a fuel pressure test while driving under a load. Which if your pump is close to going out it may show itself without doing the driving test. However I would stay away from the "spraying starter fluid" in the engine trick. Eliminate one thing at the time and you will find the source.