Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Is this detonation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Is this an aftermkt setup, that was done at a machine shop, or were parts purchased, and assembled?
How did the deck dimensions get so far off?
1.Block deck not the same, side to side?
2.Con rods not the same Ctr to Ctr?
3.Piston comp hgt not the same?
Given the problems are on 1 side, I'd think that the assembler didn't get "lucky" enuf to put all the "long parts" on that side. So, that pretty much eliminates items 2&3...
To do it right, the engine has to come apart.. But then???
Old 07-23-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its an aftermarket setup. Its an LS2 case resleeved with Darton LS7 sleeves by Steve at Race Engine Development. All parts were bought and assembled, 4" callies crank, Diamond 4.125" pistons, callies 6.125 compstar rods, it was built by another engine builder and all machining was done with them. The decks are probably lower than average because of the resleeving process, although I don't understand why one deck is ~5thou shorter than the other unless the machine shop didn't do their job.

Exactly, what then? I'd need a new block? A completely rebuilt motor? No way, can't do it. Its really not optimal, but new thicker head gaskets, and a milling on the heads to compensate for the loss in compression, and hopefully it won't blow up, hahaha.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Are you sure you had .037 piston to cyl head clearance?
Originally Posted by Haans249
I was running 51 thou gaskets. I checked and double checked the compression heights of the pistons on both sides. It was all ~40 thou on both sides. Double checked the gaskets as well, both the same thickness.
Originally Posted by Haans249
So, I re-checked the clearance....pistons out of the hole, including rock leave me with 20thou clearance (quench) on the pass side (where the pistons are making contact), and 26thou on the drivers side, pistons out the hole 31thou (25thou on the drivers-side)...so, definitely not enough clearance...
Hmmm
I guess you should triple check this time around.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Hmmm
I guess you should triple check this time around.
Lol, trust me, I checked and checked and checked, like probably a total of five different times yesterday, and came up with consistant numbers.

The first numbers I didn't account for piston rock, which I didn't know about...I'm not an engine builder haha.

I just ordered Cometic .071 thou gaskets which will give me a clearance of 40 thou on the pass side, and 46 thou on the driverside, with getting a mill of 15thou on the heads, i'll be looking at a loss of .12:1 compression, and an obvious loss in quench distance, but in this case, its worth the safety of EXTRA clearance, cause I don't want to have to take this baby apart again lol...

Quick Reply: Is this detonation?