Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

ran out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ran out of gas

Hey guys i have a question for you. I just installed some reverse glow gauges and i apperently got the fuel needle in the wrong spot. The car ran itself out of gas. I put gas in it and got it started again. Well ever since then it has been miss firing and it only does it under load and in the higher rpm's. Do you guys think i toasted the pump? It seems like its not getting enough pressure to fuel it up top. Any help would be appriciated. thanks.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:34 AM
Launching!

First off: The YOU ran the car out of gas, it didn't drive itself! j/ks j/ks, lol

Second: Is the pump making any unusual noise when you turn the key before you start it? Maby any noise from the tank when it is cutting out???
Old 09-29-2008, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Ha ha ok, I ran it out of gas. No the pump isn't making any unusual noise when priming or under normal driving. I'm pretty sure its not making it under WOT either but i wouldn't be able to hear it over my exhaust. I have a friend that said they are known to go out when run dry like that. is there any truth to that? I just can't think of anything else that would make it do this, all the plug wires and plugs are new and i know aren't touching the headers; and it only started doing it after it ran out of gas.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Launching!

I think it can go out if you run out of gas. Unless I am mistaken, the gas is the only lubrication the pump gets. So if it runs out, there is no lube, so it could mess up! I'm not sure, so if anyone can add to this...welll...add!!
Old 09-30-2008, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

I'm just not sure if pumps can be on there way out and not supplying enough pressure making it act like this. In my expirence pumps have either been out or working not inbetween.