Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What Differential is this in the Pics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Differential is this in the Pics?

What kind of differential do I have here? It is supposed to be an Eaton Truetrac but it doesn't look like it to me. What do you all think? What kind is it?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's a spool...?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SladeX
it's a spool...?
Well I don't think so, it has some internal parts to it and not just solid metal like the spool in the pic below.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Its not a spool. Ford 9" - 31 splines

Last edited by SoCalSpd; 12-10-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont think its a spool. Looks very similar to my 9" truetrac but I still dont see any worm gears. Wont swear that its a Truetrack. **** I dont know.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It a Detroit locker carrier for a 9"
Old 12-11-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schitzo
It a Detroit locker carrier for a 9"
Thanks for the replies, guys. It is a 9 inch 31 spline, I was trying to figure out what brand and type. The shop I bought my 9 inch from from is swapping out the diff I posted above for a truetrac because I've had nothing but problems with the diff above and the rear end I bought was supposed to have a truetrac and be problem free.

If it is a detroit locker then I guess there are different styles? Is it maybe old and new styles? Because it doesn't look like the pics of a locker below does it?

Old 12-11-2008, 01:50 PM
9 Second Club

I believe detroit locker has more than one type of locker. Some more aggressive than others. What kind of issues were you having with it?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Thanks for the replies, guys. It is a 9 inch 31 spline, I was trying to figure out what brand and type. The shop I bought my 9 inch from from is swapping out the diff I posted above for a truetrac because I've had nothing but problems with the diff above and the rear end I bought was supposed to have a truetrac and be problem free.

If it is a detroit locker then I guess there are different styles? Is it maybe old and new styles? Because it doesn't look like the pics of a locker below does it?

That is a Truetrac. However the 9" Truetrac looks nothing like that. It looks more like what the OP posted.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
That is a Truetrac. However the 9" Truetrac looks nothing like that. It looks more like what the OP posted.
Which one is a Truetrac, the top one? I just googled images for detroit locker and came up with those. The one that says detroit locker is from Moser's website.

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
I believe detroit locker has more than one type of locker. Some more aggressive than others. What kind of issues were you having with it?
When I put it in gear it would make a loud clunk, when I shifted gears it would clunk, when going from coast to accelleration it would clunk and the back end of the car would shift or jump to one side or the other. When turning the tires would break loose and skitter on the pavement even when hardly giving it any gas at all. It would also click and pop pretty bad when turning. I've barely driven my TA since it's been in there, it was bad enough to not even want to drive it. Some of this is probably normal for a locker but I paid for a Detroit Truetrac so is what I was supposed to have in the rear end when I bought it and it should have been smooth and quiet. But I just sent the POS mystery diff back to the shop yesterday and they promised to send a back a new Truetrac from Eaton.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Which one is a Truetrac, the top one? I just googled images for detroit locker and came up with those. The one that says detroit locker is from Moser's website.

When I put it in gear it would make a loud clunk, when I shifted gears it would clunk, when going from coast to accelleration it would clunk and the back end of the car would shift or jump to one side or the other. When turning the tires would break loose and skitter on the pavement even when hardly giving it any gas at all. It would also click and pop pretty bad when turning. I've barely driven my TA since it's been in there, it was bad enough to not even want to drive it. Some of this is probably normal for a locker but I paid for a Detroit Truetrac so is what I was supposed to have in the rear end when I bought it and it should have been smooth and quiet. But I just sent the POS mystery diff back to the shop yesterday and they promised to send a back a new Truetrac from Eaton.
You had a locker in there, thats the nature of the beast. IMO they are absolutely horrible to drive on the street. You'll be happy you returned it for the tru trac. Don't be surprised though when you see that the tru-trac for the 9 inch will look almost exactly like the locker.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adam1803
You had a locker in there, thats the nature of the beast. IMO they are absolutely horrible to drive on the street. You'll be happy you returned it for the tru trac. Don't be surprised though when you see that the tru-trac for the 9 inch will look almost exactly like the locker.
Well all the pics I find of the Truetrac don't look like that though

If you google Detroit Truetrac you will find that most of the pics look similiar and they don't look like what I had in there. If you google soft locker or locker carrier pics you'll get more of what I had.

I just want to make sure I get the correct Truetrac diff back. Is there more than one type of Truetrac for a 31 spline 9 inch? lol Part number 913A586 is what I see.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 PM
FormerVendor

The TrueTrac for the 9" will look completely different then the ones you googled. It will look very much like what you originally posted. That's probably how the mistake was made during assembly.

Shane
Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well all the pics I find of the Truetrac don't look like that though

If you google Detroit Truetrac you will find that most of the pics look similiar and they don't look like what I had in there. If you google soft locker or locker carrier pics you'll get more of what I had.

I just want to make sure I get the correct Truetrac diff back. Is there more than one type of Truetrac for a 31 spline 9 inch? lol Part number 913A586 is what I see.
Basically what everyone is trying to tell you is that the tru-trac for a 9" does not look like the pics that you found. Those pics are much like the one you would put in a 10 bolt. Why don't you just look at the box before its installed and verify the part # is correct. And yes there is only 1 type of tru-trac.

tru-trac for 9 inch:

Locker for 9 inch:
Old 12-11-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Basically what everyone is trying to tell you is that the tru-trac for a 9" does not look like the pics that you found. Those pics are much like the one you would put in a 10 bolt. Why don't you just look at the box before its installed and verify the part # is correct. And yes there is only 1 type of tru-trac.

Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it! I did happen to find a pic labeled truetrac like you posted on Summit's website and the part was discontinued. You would think (or at least I would) that all of the vendors selling 9 inch diffs would have more accurate pics of the part they are selling rather than just the "generic" picture of the part that fits a completely different application than what they are selling. Your pics help a lot though, thanks!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:03 AM
TECH Veteran

The Truetrac will have some visible gears especially on the ends.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it! I did happen to find a pic labeled truetrac like you posted on Summit's website and the part was discontinued. You would think (or at least I would) that all of the vendors selling 9 inch diffs would have more accurate pics of the part they are selling rather than just the "generic" picture of the part that fits a completely different application than what they are selling. Your pics help a lot though, thanks!
No problem, glad we got you straightened out. If you wanna know where I got my tru-trac PM me as they are not a sponsor, great price though.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem, glad we got you straightened out. If you wanna know where I got my tru-trac PM me as they are not a sponsor, great price though.
I'm getting one sent back from the shop but I'll send you a PM because great prices on parts are always nice!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Teching In

The detroit locker in the first pics is a soft locker(you can tell because you cant see through it,the soft lockers have preload washers in them to take the bang and pop out.
The tru-trac in the other pictures and on detroits site is for a quick change,for sprint cars.