Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end and rim selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end and rim selection

I am building a 2000 t/a for drag radial. I am going to run a 15x12 double bead lock and a fab 9 rear. My question is what is a good rear end width. And a good offset for the wheels. I know 6" b/s on the wheel are to much to clear the calibers. I was thinking 3 1/2 off of each side and 4" of back spacing. I will be using stock suspension with offset LCA's and a wolfe mini tub.Does this sound about right?

thanks for the help
chuck
Old 12-25-2008, 11:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by notyets10
I am building a 2000 t/a for drag radial. I am going to run a 15x12 double bead lock and a fab 9 rear. My question is what is a good rear end width. And a good offset for the wheels. I know 6" b/s on the wheel are to much to clear the calibers. I was thinking 3 1/2 off of each side and 4" of back spacing. I will be using stock suspension with offset LCA's and a wolfe mini tub.Does this sound about right?

thanks for the help
chuck

it will depend on the wheel manufacturer... Prostars, Draglites, Billet Spec Street Lites, most Centerlines all us backspacing in 1/2's. Alumastars and Magnums use even backspace numbers.
best way for rearend measurement is to get the stock tub cut out and setup the wheels/tires in the opening where you want them and then measure between the two at the stud flange. make sure you leave enough for the lca to clear the tire.
we figure everything else out from there. for wheel purposes though, the 15x12 w/ 5.5 backspace is usually the one. this puts the rim in the stock location with a 3 inch narrowed rear. the width of the rearend depends on how you want the tire/quarter relationship and ride height.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm worried about brake caliber room. I plan on running dual caliber in the back. Gonna use the champion wheel....I talked to you on the phone about a week ago.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if your concerned with the dual caliper clearance in the wheel centers then just take 1/2-1" less backspace. it should work fine w/ the Champ wheels.