Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

fab 9 center section swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fab 9 center section swap

looking at purchasing a fabbed 9 in soon but have a couple questions.

1) is it possible to switch back and forth between a spool and tru trac?
2) will the 35 spline spool axles work on a tru trac or, conversely, will 31 spline axles work with a spool?

still debating the spool/trutrac option and was wanting to know options available if i purchase one, don't like it, and want the other.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it is possible to switch between the spool and Truetrac. the only thing you need to be cautious of is the spline pitch. you can't necesarily switch between Moser and Strange components due to the way the splines are cut.

31 spline axles are possible with a spool as well. there are different lengths between the axles, especially between a standard posi unit and a truetrac.

my rearend will work and axles can be setup for both. the 35 spline is available in spool and Detroit Locker. the Truetrac diff is only available in 31 spline currently. the 31 spline axles are good in the f-body cars usually into the 9 second range.

the spool will be the lightest, least cost, and the strongest.... but its a spool.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

ssvert99 - let me ask another way so i am clear on this.

if i buy your truetrac/31 spline setup and want to change to a spool, what all needs to be swapped out? just the center section or the axles also?

also, are you saying you can only use strange axles with strange centers and moser axles with moser centers.

lastly, do you have a preference between the strange vs moser or is the choice based on application?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mterveen
ssvert99 - let me ask another way so i am clear on this.

if i buy your truetrac/31 spline setup and want to change to a spool, what all needs to be swapped out? just the center section or the axles also?

also, are you saying you can only use strange axles with strange centers and moser axles with moser centers.

lastly, do you have a preference between the strange vs moser or is the choice based on application?

Good question....... I was thinking if I don't like the True-trac I would just buy a spool for the 200.00 and be done with it..... I thought that if you go with a spool for 31 spline axles it would be ok to use the same 31 spline axles.... Or am I wrong??????
Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the spool/truetrac can be swapped in my rearends without anything else. all you'd need is the diff unit and a set of bearings to go with it.

as far as Strange vs Moser... all depends on the application. one has parts the other don't, and they are both good quality.