Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

new diff fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new diff fluid?

first off, i am in undercar at tech school and this course we have the opportunity to flush and fill the diff.

i do not know if the diff has been flushed ever, so would that be a good idea?
or would it potentially cause problems? because i know that sometimes if you flush a trans with alot of miles it can cause problems because the accumulation of gunk is holding things together.

the car has 84000 miles on it.

what fluid would you recommend and what for the friction modifier?

(stock 10 bolt rear)
Old 02-18-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have two choices in weight - 75w90 (stock) or 75w140. Either will work, and opinions will vary as to which is better.
You have two choices in type - Dino oil or synthetic. Dino oil will require the additive if you have that type of differential. (If this is for the 96, you will need it.) The auto parts store should stock it or you could buy it from the dealer. If you go synthetic, check the bottle. Many synthetics already have it. Will have verbage such as "Contains Limited Slip Additive".
Dino oil is certainly less expensive, IMHO. Brand loyalty will vary. I use Royal Purple, but you may hear many differing opinions, and none should be considered out of bounds. I would avoid a generic and stick with a name brand, but that's just me.
You should not need to flush the differential; it should pretty much drain out when you pull the cover. Some cars require it b/c not all the fluid drains out the plug. Ours are not like that b/c stock has no plug, you have to pull the whole cover off. But you will need the following:
Cover gasket
Sealant (optional, I use Ultra Copper)
2 quarts fluid
8 oz. additive (if required)