Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

moser 9 installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default moser 9 installation questions

iv got a couple questions to ask before i order my moser 9.

what happens with the metal brake line on the stock rear? to i need to make another or with this line fit?

do i need sway bar brackets to run a stock sway bar?

is there a big difference between trutrac and locker? which would be better for a daily driven car? will the locker lock if i take a hard turn and slam on the gas?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock brake line can be made to work.

Some need sway bar brackets and some don't. If you have to, you can make your own using a couple of extra 3 inch U-bolts (two ends on each bolt).

I've had both a Detroit locker and a TruTrac. The TruTrac is far better for a daily driver. The Lockers work fine but are noisy and clunky. They lock whenever a wheel starts to spin.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am also installing a Moser 9". best deal you're gonna get for the money bud. as for the brake lines?you can re-use your stockers on to the Moser but i'm making my own from stainless tubing from O'Reilly's that is custom best to make the install look cleaner. if you have an hour and a tubing bender then why not spend the 10 bux for a new line?
you will need to use 3" exhaust clamps to mount the sway bar. i got mine from O'Reilly's for $4 each. you will need two.
as far as locker. depends on what you plan to do. if you plan on exceeding 700hp and gonna do lots of wheels up launches then i would suggest the spool. the True-Trac is great for street purposes and is very comfortable to drive. i absolutely hate the Detroit locker. it is much stronger and durable but it's an annoyance when you're backing up or making slow turns. i'd rather hear a chirping tire that a loud "clunk" noise. it seems like the true trac will be your best bet. thats what i run. my Moser has 4.30s, True-Trac, 31 spline axles,Nodular Iron center, and 4 channel ABS/TCS. got it all shipped for $2800 best money i've spent and i know it's gonna see some seriosu abuse from my sprayed 6.0.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info I am installing mine next week.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

probably a stupid question but does the 12 bolt come with the gears already set up?
Old 04-19-2009, 05:29 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ElkySS
probably a stupid question but does the 12 bolt come with the gears already set up?
Yes, both the 12 bolt and the 9 inch come with the gears already set up. Bob