Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Third gen swap question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third gen swap question

I have a 1991 Z28 and want to convert the rear to disc brakes and have a stonger rear end. I have been told that a fouth gen rear end would bolt right up. I was wondering if anyone here has done this, know someone who has, or if its possible. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you are not going to have a stronger a rearend. but you will have disc brakes. i have an S60 rear with disc brakes off an lt1 car. works great and indestructible. 4th gen rears will go in a third gen. i thinks there about 1.5" longer on each side.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

wow did not know that......learn something new everyday
Old 06-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kilrfuk
I have a 1991 Z28 and want to convert the rear to disc brakes and have a stonger rear end. I have been told that a fouth gen rear end would bolt right up. I was wondering if anyone here has done this, know someone who has, or if its possible. Thanks for any help.
It will not be stronger but sometimes having rear disk is nice. If your looking for strength look at things like a Ford 8.8, 12 bolt, 9", or whatever your flavor is and intended use.

3rd gens and 4th gens share the same suspension pieces, including TQ arm, Panhard rods and LCA, kinda crazy eh?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the information. KenSS, you have that rear end for sale or thats what you are running?
BlackScreaminMachine thanks, but i have already thought of aftermarket, and it is outside my budget right now, thats why I asked about the fourth gen axles. I'm sure i can salvage one from a local junk yard.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kilrfuk
BlackScreaminMachine thanks, but i have already thought of aftermarket, and it is outside my budget right now, thats why I asked about the fourth gen axles. I'm sure i can salvage one from a local junk yard.
a 8.8 has been proven to be the most cost effective, strong rear for 4th gens with a little work.

what I will say is it all depends on the intended use and abuse you plan on it. If your car doesnt break the 300 rwhp mark, and is an auto, your not breaking anything.