Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

bolts keep backing out on Torque arm

Old 08-22-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i sprayed out my holes with brake cleaner, let it dry thoroughly and used red loctite.... i checked the torque spec for 2 months or so, and when it never came loose, i stopped checking...

...then when they eventually came loose, i broke my bmr rear torque arm mount, driveshaft slip yoke in the tranny, and 3 teeth off the ring gear. all on a car that only puts down 354rwhp. so not re-checking my bolts cost me $700+ in repairs plus a tow and my car being down.

now that i have it all back together, i'm getting the bolts tack welded to the torque arm mount.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

idk why you guys have such problems..maybe its the hardware you are using and maybe its the langth of the bolts? i use grade 12 bolts my dad got me from work and i made sure they were a little longer then i needed then i used washers and lock washers to space the bolt out so i had the most bolt in the hole as posible. i also used red locktite and lock washers as i said.

i did it once and it was inthere for 3 years like that with no problem and still were crazy tight when i took my rear out because i blew my posi lol

oh and my torque wrench was as much as my arm would through at it since i knew i was not braking those grade 12 bolts lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bolts keep backing out on Torque arm