Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolt = lowered probs??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 12 bolt = lowered probs??

I can get a deal on Currie Axle 12 bolt. I am a lowered car and wondering if this will cause any probs...especially T/A and sway bar clearance. Anybody lowered with 12 bolt experience is appreciated....... THANKS!!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 12-bolt in my car with the same springs (Strano's) and didn't have any clearance issues. The only issue I had was since the axle tube is larger, it put the sway bar end links at an odd angle and they kept pinching the bushings out. That was easy enough to fix with longer (about 5/8" longer) end links.

The 12-bolt itself on the other hand...
Old 12-04-2009, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im lowered on Strano springs and a Moser 12 bolt and no problems.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

I've been wondering the same thing I'm looking into buying a 12 bolt as soon as I find a good deal on here but my car is lowered on eibach sportlines. What ya think?
Old 12-06-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I can get a deal on Currie Axle 12 bolt. I am a lowered car and wondering if this will cause any probs...especially T/A and sway bar clearance. Anybody lowered with 12 bolt experience is appreciated....... THANKS!!!!
With a stock TA (torque arm) probably.

I removed my Strano lowering springs because of a Spohn TA. The TA bracket kept hitting the tunnel on the driver side. So severe it almost pierced the flooring.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1998-2002-...ersY-Pipe.html

The TA bracket can be trimmed which might provide additional clearance but I haven't tried that yet. The upper plate on both the UMI and Spohn TA rear bracket uses the inner bolt holes for mounting rather than the outer bolt holes. So the outer edge of the TA bracket plate can be trimmed some. Trimming might be a winter project because I would like to re-install the Strano springs again.

You also have to bend and reroute the brake fluids lines as the 12 bolt housing is bigger (higher) than stock. The installer literally jammed the brake lines on top of the housing with no regard for clearance between the housing, the brake lines junction, and the floor tunnel.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 12-06-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

Im running Strano springs and a SLP TQ arm and have a MOSER 12 bolt. No problems here. Before Had QA1s and varied ride height to where I liked it and never a problem-except for the shocks. Main problem I see with anything aftermarket is a poor install. The shop I left my car with while I was over in Iraq did **** poor work. So I had to redo their work. On a aftermarket TQ arm-face the head of the bolt away from the prop shaft to give more body clearance. the bolt threads will not hit the U-joints. And if it looks too long and will-get a shorter bolt and thinner nut. SLP and Random technolgies TQ arms are very simiular in design. UMI and BMR are made to fit stock/12 bolt and the Nine inch. The rear Mount on the SLP and Random tech TQ arms are smaller in size than BMR and UMI. Meening not dual drilled. if its drilled for the 10 bolt-it will fit a 12 bolt.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by tillery
Im running Strano springs and a SLP TQ arm and have a MOSER 12 bolt. No problems here. Before Had QA1s and varied ride height to where I liked it and never a problem-except for the shocks. Main problem I see with anything aftermarket is a poor install. The shop I left my car with while I was over in Iraq did **** poor work. So I had to redo their work. On a aftermarket TQ arm-face the head of the bolt away from the prop shaft to give more body clearance. the bolt threads will not hit the U-joints. And if it looks too long and will-get a shorter bolt and thinner nut. SLP and Random technolgies TQ arms are very simiular in design. UMI and BMR are made to fit stock/12 bolt and the Nine inch. The rear Mount on the SLP and Random tech TQ arms are smaller in size than BMR and UMI. Meening not dual drilled. if its drilled for the 10 bolt-it will fit a 12 bolt.
The mounting bracket plate on the Spohn and UMI (I have and tried both) have four holes (four on top and four on the bottom) and as a result require a larger bracket plate bottom and top that protrudes off of the rearend housing. It's the part of the bracket plate on top that doesn't clear adequately the tunnel and hits the tunnel when the car (at least mine) was lowered with Strano springs.

So even though the inner bolt holes are used when mounting either the UMI or Shohn TA on a Moser 12 bolt there are still four holes requiring a larger plate (bracket).

Although not very clear this pic shows how far the Spohn TA mounts off of the driver side of the Moser 12 bolt. And as you can see the two outer bolt holes are not used.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...7602956888623/
Old 12-06-2009, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

I know about the Spohn TQ arm as well-I have run one before. And about to reinstall it-its a mid mount- Most people dont like the idea of further fabrication. Such as clearancing the tunnel for more clearance. I would understand on a Classic. But these cars are very far from that. Thats just my thought tho. It can be done to look factory. My suggestion would be a TQ arm that isnt as bulky as the Spohn-UMI or BMR. And if he did happen to have one-have it modified to fit the tunnel. because mine was not assembled correctly-the bolt hit the tunnel a little, My concern is it ripping the sheetmetal or stressing it when It would hit. I agree with you on the rear mounts bulk being a problem. I was concerned about it to-slipped my mind I had fabbed up a rear mount that would work better.