Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9 inches

Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Moser 9 inches

This tax refund I may get enough back to get a quality rearend. My car is equipped with the T56 6spd, so I think I'll go with 4.11's and a locker which ever 9 inch I get. I'm wondering if I should get Mosers fabricated M9 housing or just thier standard 9" housing. Is there anything better about the M9 over the regualr 9"? I know the M9 is lighter than the 9", is there anything else? My car is and will be 90% - 10% street - strip. Does anyone need any other info? Any help is appreciated, Thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the M9 and I love it. Like you've already stated it is lighter than the standard 9" housing. The standard housing is going to take all the abuse a street car could ever throw at it.

If your not aware, there is a new differential out that is stronger than the tru trac, but still drives great. It's called the Wavetrac.

You are aware that the M9 has it's own torque arm correct? I found that the M9s massive torque arm reduces ground clearance for my true duals by a decent amount. It mounts to the very top and bottom of the housing and I had to lower the exhaust down just to get it back on. If you have a Y pipe setup, this won't be an issue for you. That's just something to keep in mind.

Last edited by BriancWS6; 01-14-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont get the locker you will hate it! im fixin to throw mine out and put in a spool
Old 01-14-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97camaross
dont get the locker you will hate it! im fixin to throw mine out and put in a spool
Why? Does it suck going around curves?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SHovV
This tax refund I may get enough back to get a quality rearend. My car is equipped with the T56 6spd, so I think I'll go with 4.11's and a locker which ever 9 inch I get. I'm wondering if I should get Mosers fabricated M9 housing or just thier standard 9" housing. Is there anything better about the M9 over the regualr 9"? I know the M9 is lighter than the 9", is there anything else? My car is and will be 90% - 10% street - strip. Does anyone need any other info? Any help is appreciated, Thanks
For a normal 90% street car go with the standard Moser 9". Torque will depend what spline axles you will get. Many limited slip diffs are available for 31 spline axles. Once you move up to 35 spline axles you are limited to either a spool, Detroit Locker, or Wavetrac. Spool isn't great for a street car, lockers are a bit harsh and the Wavetrac is expensive ($1000). Have you considered a 12 bolt with 33 spline axles and a Detroit TrueTrac? I know of plenty people make 700+ rwhp on then with no problems.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

talked to texas speed and moser today. they recomended the regular 9" also. thanks everyone
Old 01-14-2010, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

I have a Moser 9" and have absolutely no complaints about it, I also have the dreaded tru trac and havnt had an issue yet. But I would recommend a fab 9, its lighter and appears to cost more but by the time you buy the basically mandatory aftermarket torque arm your at the same price. Ive had good customer service with Moser but youll hear about alot of horror stories with them. My friend went with MWC and I swear he is always on the phone with them naggin them in some way, and they LOVE it and will help no matter what. Alot more 1 on 1 interaction I guess
Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, i know every brand has thier problems from time to time. and i dont even mind gettin a dud as long as it would be taken care of in a reasonable manner. but as fas as the M9 being lighter, i think the regular 9" would be more weight where it's needed. but im for sure going with a 9" from someone here at LS1Tech
Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
Why? Does it suck going around curves?
it just dose random stuff it makes alot of noise too. It makes it a pain in the *** to drive, i have also herd they tear up syncros in the tranny. the A4 cars seem to like them.
and yes it dose get stuck goin around curves (when it wants to)

im getting a spool b/c its lighter and it wont make all kinds of noise.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

wont a spool suck more for street driving/curves and makin turns than a locker? and i've never heard of them tearing up syncros
Old 01-15-2010, 04:56 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SHovV
wont a spool suck more for street driving/curves and makin turns than a locker? and i've never heard of them tearing up syncros
The locker has a lot of play in it, which can ruin the synchros when not at wide open throttle with a manual transmission. At wide open throttle the backlash is gone and the transmission will shift just fine. Lockers do work well with automatics.

A spool will work just fine on highway curves, but you'll feel the tires scrubbing in intersection turns. If you try to make a U turn with a spool, the car will understeer, meaning the car will try to plow forward instead of turning. You just have to give yourself more room for a U turn, as if you were towing a trailer behind you. Bob
Old 01-15-2010, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

I have a spool in my M9 and I like it except on very cold days in real tight situations like parking lots while turning and barely moving. It's only during these times does it **** me off with how the spool feels. I also have full rod end suspension so it translates more into the chassis than poly ends would.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

so i wonder if i should get the tru-trac, locker or spool. search button activated
Old 01-15-2010, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

see my reply # 21 @
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-some-s-2.html
as stated I like lockers, Johnny
Old 01-15-2010, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Id say try a waveloc and see how those work. alot of people hate the tru trac. Seems to be 8/10 people have issues with them.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

yeah it seems like the locker vs. spool will mostly be personal exp./opinion. i dont want to ruin syncros with th locker. what would be a solution to that? faceplating the t56? but i dont want the understeer of the spool cause this is a grocery getter sometimes. wavetrac sounds like the best of both, but its the price of both lol decisions decisions
Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 AM
9 Second Club

I can tell you that a Tru Trac and a 6 spd is a bad combination. After my TT broke I did some searching a little late I guess but I found probably 20 people with a broken Tru track. Spool is what I went back with for price and it is tried and true. The Wave Track has not been out long enough for me to drop a grand on. Good luck
Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

I never had a problem with understeer with my car. I also have the BMR Xtreme sway bar out back, and the thing turns on a dime for me. The first time I took it through a sharp turn, it surprised the **** outta me! If your not used to it, and try to hit some twisties before getting used to how it handles, the *** end will be coming around on you!
Old 01-16-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I never had a problem with understeer with my car. I also have the BMR Xtreme sway bar out back, and the thing turns on a dime for me. The first time I took it through a sharp turn, it surprised the **** outta me! If your not used to it, and try to hit some twisties before getting used to how it handles, the *** end will be coming around on you!
this is with a locker or a spool?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

I am going to go with one of these fabbed housing units from Eric... at midwest.
http://www.midwestchassis.com/products.html

Search this Thread