Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Whining

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whining

I just installed some Motive 3.73 gears in my 10 bolt with .008 backlash (Motive calls for .007-.009) and a perfect pattern and I still got a whine. On the first test drive it started out dead silent but before I made it back home it started whining on decell and at cruising speed. It was only about a 2 mile drive. I read on here that sometimes it helps to tighten down the pinion nut a 1/4 turn. Well 1/4 seemed alot to me so I just tightened it down a little less than an 1/8 turn. So I take it for another test drive and now it does not whine on decell but it still has a small whine at cruising speed. So I tighten down another 1/8 of a turn but this time it does not make any difference.

I am going to remove the cover and recheck everything but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what the problem may be? It only whines at cruising speed while giving it just enuff gas to maintain a certain speed. The whining starts at about 30mph and increases up til about 65mph. Its not incredibly loud but its more than Im willing to settle for. There is no whine during accelleration or decell.

Please Help!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:58 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crzhrs
I just installed some Motive 3.73 gears in my 10 bolt with .008 backlash (Motive calls for .007-.009) and a perfect pattern and I still got a whine. On the first test drive it started out dead silent but before I made it back home it started whining on decell and at cruising speed. It was only about a 2 mile drive. I read on here that sometimes it helps to tighten down the pinion nut a 1/4 turn. Well 1/4 seemed alot to me so I just tightened it down a little less than an 1/8 turn. So I take it for another test drive and now it does not whine on decell but it still has a small whine at cruising speed. So I tighten down another 1/8 of a turn but this time it does not make any difference.

I am going to remove the cover and recheck everything but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what the problem may be? It only whines at cruising speed while giving it just enuff gas to maintain a certain speed. The whining starts at about 30mph and increases up til about 65mph. Its not incredibly loud but its more than Im willing to settle for. There is no whine during accelleration or decell.

Please Help!
Some gear sets just whine, no matter what you do. Bob
Old 03-12-2010, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Does it seem that some rears like a 9" are just a little louder even when set up properly? When I listen to 9" rears at the track I sure hear a lot of them making noise with power off and coasting in the shut off area.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EPP Automotive Performance
Some gear sets just whine, no matter what you do. Bob

I have always heard that but didnt really believe it til I seen how perfect this one was setup. Has anyone ever tweaked one slightly out of spec to stop whining with any success?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

Well what are the specs on the pinion preload? And, what is this 1/8 to 1/4 turn you are referring to. Whoever said that is how you adjust preload is sadly mistaken. There is a specific amount of preload supposed to be on the bearings. New bearings or old bearings?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Old bearings. I set it back to what it was with the old gears about 18 in lbs. I know turning it 1/8 and 1/4 after setup is not how you adjust bearing preload but figured I didnt have anything to lose since it was whining.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

I pulled my rearend back apart. The backlash was at .012 I set it at .008. Not sure how it changed the chunk was shimmed very tight. I didnt check the pattern. I reassembled everything and reset the backlash at .007 and this is what the pattern looked like. First 2 pic are drive second 2 are coast. Where do I go from here?
Attached Thumbnails Whining-img_2121.jpg   Whining-img_2122.jpg   Whining-img_2119.jpg   Whining-img_2120.jpg  
Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Total miles on the new gears is about 8. I test drove it about 4 times and about 2 miles each trip.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

by the looks of the wear pattern, your pinion depth is off. Did you re-use the factory pinion shim?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Yep, factory shim. The pattern looked perfect when I put it together the first time. Wish I had taken a pic then.