Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end grinding

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear end grinding

Hey guys, i had my car on jack stands to try and figure out this grinding noise i have been getting.

At first i thought it was my brakes rubbing, but after taking them off and putting the car in gear, the noise is still there.

it really seems to be coming from the passenger side, and the sound was 10 times worse on jack stands than it is on the road. It also may be coming from the drivers side, but from walking around the car with the wheels spinning i would have to say pass. side is worse

the best way i can describe the noise is when you have rusty rotors and stop for the first few times, you get the grinding noise.

Its been doing this for the passed 2 years, and 20,000 miles, i never did anything about it because i thought it was the brakes.

anyways, after doing a bit of research i have found some things it might be:

1. pinion bearing - if this were true, wouldnt it sound like it is in the center of the car? I replaced the pinion seal and im sure i didnt get the pinion nut on perfectly, the noise didnt change

2. c-clips wore out the axle, i can move my pass. side axle in and out maybe 1/16" I was told there should be no play like that in them

3. axle is pitted

4. wheel bearing, i would think the problem would have gotten way worse after all of this time

anyone else have opinions?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

by wheel bearing I assume you mean axle bearing. that may be it.

use a mechanics stethascope, they are cheap and very useful.

your lucky, my noise is on the road only. Its quiet on the jackstands. I'm pretty sure mine is from overtightening the pinion nut, then loosening it up when I replaced pinion bearings. going to go back in and redo it all.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same problem with my trans am. I replaced all of my bearings and fluid in the rear end, I have no brakes and rotors but the sound is still there. Anyone find a fix for this?
Old 03-26-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pjb
by wheel bearing I assume you mean axle bearing. that may be it.

use a mechanics stethascope, they are cheap and very useful.

your lucky, my noise is on the road only. Its quiet on the jackstands. I'm pretty sure mine is from overtightening the pinion nut, then loosening it up when I replaced pinion bearings. going to go back in and redo it all.
yeah, that is what i mean, i have seen them called wheel bearing/axle bearing