Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Ends and Wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 02:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Ends and Wheels...

Pardon me guys... I'm sort of a noob when it comes to rear-ends besides the basic stuff. But I was curious. I read a lot that you can get your rear end shortened, I'm guessing that means short axles, and probably lengthened for that matter if you wanted to. I imagine when you do this it changes the offset on the wheels that your capable of installing... would I be correct in this assumption? How do they correspond to one another?

I ask because I've always wanted to put a nice set of Deep Dishes out back. But notice MANY of them are a very slim width and you can't put on a nice set of meats. So many must sacrifice one for the other... Is it possible to change the rear end length to compensate and get the best of both worlds?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

correct offset and backspacing is the key i ride a 20x9.5 in rear but would like to go larrger but you have to measure right
Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump...
Old 04-20-2010, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

like myself order a fab 9 with 3 inchs chopped off each side, this allows me to lose some weight. and stock width rear 7.5 backspaceing, how much you chop on each side subtract that from the backspaceing, so i can run a 4.5 with my narrowed rear chopped 3 inchs on each side. But chop to much and you will have to cut and hammer to get it to fit or mini tub. if thats not a problem then get a narrowed rear to have that badass deep dish.