Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt/diff questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 10 bolt/diff questions

Hi, i have a manual 01 SS with a 10 bolt in it. I cracked the casing of the stock diff and ripped the spider gears apart a few months ago, replaced it with 373's and a diff out of an early 90's s10. That diff is now 1 wheeling so i want to replace it, but I also have a ton of performance parts to install.

So now i pose the question, what all can I do to make the 10 bolt handle the power a bit better. I cant manage a 9inch right now and want to try to not have to worry a little for the time being. i work in a factory with a full machine shop, so im sure I could make some of the parts that would strengthen the rear a little. i know lpw makes a brace kit for the ten bolt, but I don't know how the braces mount to the center section. I am also aware of welding the axle tubes and getting a ta girdle, but what other thigns can I do to keep the axle as able to handle the power as I can?

Also, jaws offers a ton of different diff's, what would be the best option? I dont care about noisey, but I do drive the car on the street, I just want the strongest option as far as a 10 bolt diff goes.

Lastly, with the supposed 400whp the car should have once I'm done with my mods, what are the chances the 10 bolt could handle it fully built? Thanks

Last edited by 2kblackgtp; 05-02-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Launching!

bumping this
Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp
Lastly, with the supposed 400whp the car should have once I'm done with my mods, what are the chances the 10 bolt could handle it fully built? Thanks
Slim to none. Even if you made some 4140 bearing caps, weld the tubes, put a girdle on it etc, etc...it's not a question of is it going to break, only when. Combine your M6 with sticky tires, RPM and 400+WHP, and it will happen soon.