Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Auburn posi unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Auburn posi unit

Hi guys i got an auburn posi unit at a local salvage yard recently (since my series 2 wont work) with 3.42's attached to it. While it was still in the car I inspected all the spider gears inside of it and they seemed to be in good shape also both wheels turned the same way so it apppeared to be working it came out of a v6 car so I doubt its been beaten on and the car seemed to be in good shape so probably low mileage. Question is there anyway to figure out if the unit is completely fine before its installed? Or is the spinning of the wheels in the same direction a good enough test?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok thanks mine actually looks to be in the middle of those two is the second auburn pic a fried posi? And i dont normally do burnouts or dift corners etc I just dont wanna punch it from a line and light one up, but you say they work well even worn in a straight line eh? I was thinking there had to be some exception I mean i dont think gm would make a carrier that was completely **** at 80k
Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

At 117,000 miles,my Auburn probably had another 5-10 k to go before it would be totally wore out.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

see thats what im a little skiddish of.... the auburn was free and it looks to be in great shape so i just dont wanna blow useless money on a torsen. like i said above the auburn was out of a stock v6 car so i dont think there are too many hard corners or burnouts with it lol. how could you tell yours was goin out would it just do one wheel peels?
Old 06-23-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

I didn't change the Auburn out because of the Auburn,other reasons.
I've been working on rearends since the late 60s'.In Oct of 2004 on the way,from Cleveland Ohio to SLP appreciation day in Englishtown NJ,a 'growl' in the rearend developed.Sounded like a passenger side carrier bearing. In 2007,I built up a rearend I had acquired at a swap meet,had everything but carrier & gears.I built that rear with used Richmond 4.56s' I picked up at a swap meet for $25 and an Eaton disc clutch posi carrier I picked up at Summit Racing in their 'discount' corner,was a 'floor display piece. Swapped the rearends and tore the original down for inspection. Passenger side carrier bearing WAS disinigrating to the point it was allowing the ring gear to move closer to the pinion.The Auburn,which has cone clutches,still had some life but the spiral grooves,visible in the carrier openings,were almost worn to non-existence.Maybe 5-10 K left,maybe more,hard to say.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks for the reply, the thing with me is im broke and in college lol atm my pinion seal is puking oil all over the underside of the car so it needs to be pulled apart and I HATE my 2.73s so those have to go the 3.42 in the picture and the carrier only cost me 50 bucks so I figured what the hell. Do the cones in the pics looks shot?
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=DSC01719.jpg
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...SC01718.jpg%26
Old 06-23-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

so it doesnt look too worn? lol the pin slides out of the center with just a few light taps so th gears are stil pretty close together...

Quick Reply: Auburn posi unit