Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Review of a locker with a M6

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Review of a locker with a M6

So I have had my Detroit locker in the car for a few months now. And well its like learning how to drive the car all over. It clicks , clunks , chrips and shimmy. I was in the city for a internship when I put it in. So I began to drive the car on my hour long trips to work in the morning in Chicago traffic.

I initially thought there was something wrong with it till I came on here and read this is just the nature of having a locker from what I am about to describe.

Now most of the driving I have always loved to do is go find some curvy roads. I would not feel safe with this type of driving as around corners and shifting would not be predictable at all. So that is out. I am half tempted to put a Posi in the car come spring just to be able to get back to this type of driving.

While launching the car though. The feeling is bar none. While shifting at WOT I can only compare it to feeling like a automatic transmission if your shift is quick enough. It will stay locked and you dont have to worry about the car swaying side to side durning a shift.

In parking lots or twisty roads you just need to feel what what gear the car needs. For example in a left turn lane I start in second so I am not over revving the **** out of the motor and there isnt enough power going to the rear to lock up the wheels and basically have a spool. If you even tap the gas it will be locking up and be ready to start to slide if you keep in it. For Daily driving I noticed that I can not shift like I normally do , You either shift fast every time or, hold it in neutral for a second to let the transmission sync up again. This goes back to learning how to drive the car again. Durning your shift you will lock and unlock which makes the car sway side to side. My car has generally pulled to the left a little bit. I am not sure if thats just the general with every car or a suspension issue.

The little joist is what you need to be ready for on long sweeping corners. Like on ramps , long rodes if you are shifting. Say on a un ramp a lazy 2-3 shift will catch you off guard if in the rain. I intially put the locker in with 315 bfg dr's and I think they softened the blow alot more. I now have a narrow small sidewall highway wheel in 18' and there isnt that sidewall there to go with the locker.

Parrel Parking and U turns Parking is not bad It clunks alot harder just from how tight your turns are. U turns Unless you are on a 4 lane road are not happening unless you just wipe the *** end around. If you begin to take a corner to sharp and to fast you will know. You can feel it through out the car. This is how you know. It feels like the car is about to fall apart. As I am guessing there is no slip like in a automatic transmission

In conclusion. If your car is a Daily. Look else where. If your car is a canyon carver. Look else where. If your going to be embarrassed by everyone staring at you in the gas station cause something sounds wrong with the car aside from that one guy who knows your car is some **** not to be messed with. Well I think you get the point.

I am not disappointed at the least with mine. I can say I was not ready and I bought it with out doing and research only after it was in my car I learned all these issues were normal. I like the fact I can throw whatever at it and not have a damn thing to worry about. I drove it daily for about 2 months in traffic and got used to it like it wasnt even there.

Here is why I upgraded to a locker. This was a Ford Track lock and a Cast case. On 370rwhp twin disk clutch , 4 inch drive shaft and 315 dr A locker and a Nodular case ensures me this will never happen again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHHXJlQGFvY

Last edited by cgroh89; 07-30-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great review. I had already kinda swayed away from the locker but wasnt 100%, but now i know. thx, saved me from buying another expensive *** mod to later regret.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice job on the review! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-30-2010, 06:24 AM
11 Second Club

So your old rear was a cast case? Was the trac loc posi billet? Both could have failed if not. A good case, billet posi and Daytona support you would have been good. Screw lockers!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome review. You can tell you took the time do this right. I felt the same way about the locker, but I have A4 so I do not have as many issues. 6 months in, I love it.

My locker has never made that many clunks in a corner. It usually locks up about half way through the turn and starts to make the tires chirp like a spool. But I bet it is becuase I have a auto...

Last edited by Camaro Junky; 07-30-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Well the previous owner had put the 9" in so I didnt have a say in it
Ive been seriously thinking about going with a Manual Valve Body Th350 but I just got 22 Mpg on a 800 mile trip last weekend and I dont know that I want to loose that. And at the same time I dont want go back into the rear and pull the locker to make the car fun for me again.

I can see a locker being perfect imho for the weekend racer with slicks and skinnys. Or for someone with a automatic like said above.

I got my unit out of a nascar setup from Tripp Motor Sports. It was a Nodular Unit 3.82 gears Rem polished. 1350 yoke . And the Daytona Support for around 800 shipped. And the kicker was it was from a nascar team which makes my car like 33% race car now lol Click here for where I got my unit. I highly recommend them.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned

Wow, you destroyed that last rearend.

BTW, your sig pic is tight.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

This review should be added to the stickies. Bob

Old 08-12-2010, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Dang I thought I wanted a locker... what is the unbreakable yet streetable alternative??
Old 08-12-2010, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

nice write up! definte sticky material. just one thing this thread needs is the original picture of your sig
Old 08-12-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00silver6
nice write up! definte sticky material. just one thing this thread needs is the original picture of your sig
Agreed on all accounts! especially the original version of your sig

It musta sucked ***** when your rear went like that...
Old 08-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

This is great info and worthy of a sticky. All he is saying is too, especially about that ONE guy who knows why it sounds like that. I in the past got that exp with too many people.

That up there with trying to expain why your wheels studs stick out.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Magnet
Dang I thought I wanted a locker... what is the unbreakable yet streetable alternative??
The Wavetrac is your best bet.

https://www.brutespeed.com/rear_end_information.htm Info on Wavetrac can be found here. Bob

Old 08-13-2010, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
The Wavetrac is your best bet.

https://www.brutespeed.com/rear_end_information.htm Info on Wavetrac can be found here. Bob
thanks for the info!
Old 08-14-2010, 06:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Magnet
thanks for the info!
You're welcome. Bob

Old 08-14-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Great review!!!
I've looked at that wavetrac but i think i have heard that it is a 900$ option...
Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
Great review!!!
I've looked at that wavetrac but i think i have heard that it is a 900$ option...
It is about $450.00 more, check out this link. Bob
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...h-Wavetrac.htm

Old 08-15-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
It is about $450.00 more, check out this link. Bob
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...h-Wavetrac.htm
Call you tomorrow Bob!!! Might not do the strange S60 now...
Old 08-15-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

nice write up man. when i order a fabbed 9" ill be goin with 35 spline axles, so my options are a wavetrack, locker and spool. the spool is out of the question because of tire profile ( 335/30/18's on a 18x12 ), and unless i have the money for the wavetrack im limited to the locker, which doesnt bother me at all. ive done alot of research on the locker behind a 6spd and i know what to expect. nive video btw, i never heard a locker behind a manual untill your vid. but my exhaust is loud enough i dont think ill hear anything, but everyone else will think my car is a pos lol
Old 08-15-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

what weight oil did you put in it, mine toned down alot with 85w140 in it. didnt notice a performance difference. been street driving one for about 6 years and can agree with everything you said

wouldnt trade it

Last edited by Tally TransAm; 08-15-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Review of a locker with a M6