Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

S60: Seals, venting and fluid level.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default S60: Seals, venting and fluid level.

Helllo everyone.

I was doing a scheduled fluid change on my two year old S60 and noticed an oil leak out of the driver side axel end tube. Is this something I can change in the garage on my own with basic handtools.

The fluid level is also another concern I have. If I remembered correctly I thouht that the S60 required two and half quarts of diff fluid. This level would have diff fluid just dribbling out of the fill hole ( black cover with S ) on level ground. I did a small search and it seems that the number should be only 2quarts. Which is correct?

My next question has to do with the vent system on the S60. the little sintered nut ( is it brass? why? ) on my s60 looks pretty new still, but I think the design looks a little restrictive. could not find any specific write-ups on this subject as well as the ones posted above.

Overall this rear has been a great addition to my car. It has minimal noise, the truetrac makes handling fun, Performs well at the drag strip.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Default Found source of Leak ( Loose jet nuts )

Found the problem. The four retaining nuts had backed off which allowed the axel to move away from the inner seal. I am dissipointed in strange's quality control in this area. I purchased the version the backing plates pre-installed so that would avoid any set-up hassles like this. there was not even any evidence of thread locker on these critical fasteners.

Will start looking for the appropriate seals and upgraded hardware if it exists for my application.

Hope this helps others.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for sharing I am about to order my s60 and will make sure I check all the bolts!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Glad to help.
Dont get me wrong about the S60 I think it is well engineered and fitment to our cars is perfect. I would purchase again if I had to do it again. Just was dissapointed that I spent the extra money to have the backing plates pre-installed to save on aditional time and labor on my part ( didnt even have loctite applied to the threads). I hear that later builds are properly torqued so you should be OK.

Also check the style of vent that yours comes with. I have the bronze mesh media for the vent and it is very restrictive as far a airflow goes. I am going to use the barbed adapter, vacum hose, fuel filter set-up that the 4x4 guys are using for venting. Summit also sells differential breathers. My vent threads are
1/8"npt. Do a search on this forum or google 1/8'" differntial vent to get an idea on what this is about.

Search this Thread