Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" w/spool popping while moving

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 9" w/spool popping while moving

im posting this for a buddy.

this rear end has a strange case, strange pro lightened spool, moser 35 spline axles 4.11 street gears.

while moving, it will randomly pop very loudly. its not just a noise. u can see the wheel jerk, even in a straight line. it gets worse while turning. we pulled the axles and the 3rd member out and cant find anything broken. there wer alot of very fine metal flakes in the oil but no big chunks. the splines on the axles look fine, still have the machining lines on them. there is a very slight wear mark ring right where the splines in the spool on the driver side start. we slid the matching axle into the spool on a bench and they both have the same amount of play (should there be any?) all the bearings are tight, no play. this rear has maybe 100 miles on it. any ideas?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nah doesnt do it while going straight that i know of... only when you cut the wheel...thought it was the wheel just hopping but it is not that, the wheel actually pushes into the ground harderas you turn.... G-force saw it and said there was something wrong....
Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

did it to me when i pulled it out of the driveway before i turned
Old 02-07-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whenever you try and make a turn in a car equipped with a spool its not going to like it.

During a turn the outside wheel has to spin faster than the inside wheel, and the spool won't let that happen. So the car has to actually drag one tire around while turning. This is rough on the driveline and the tires.

The popping noise you hear is probably the axles unloading from the tension built up when one wheel is trying to turn faster than the other.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

I understand the whole chirping while turning a corner and the wear on the tires, but the "loud" popping sound and metal in the gear oil does not sound normal. There are many rears out there with spools running limited street use and I have yet to here a complaint like this. I too would like to here from others with spools that have this same issue (or other street issues). I have yet to order my rear and have almost made up my mind that a spool is the way to go in my mainly track car, but, with limited street use too.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look for a hair line crack in the spool body, under pressure it may spread and allow the splines to jump. Either that or a damaged wheel bearing/cracked race.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Kevin97ss makes sense ... ElkySS, please keep us informed.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

looks like with the spool and stock lcas the whole rear was moving more and causing the wheel to contact and catch a lip sticking out in the wheel well. we bent the lip out of the way and are gonna try aftermarket lcas. they should come in any day now.

as for the metal, we figure with as few miles as this thing has on it, it isnt done breaking in yet.

ill let yall know if this fixes it

Quick Reply: 9" w/spool popping while moving