Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Can an 8.8 handle it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can an 8.8 handle it?

Can I build an 8.8 strong enough to withstand the abuse of street/strip car making about 800 to the wheels?

Did a little research and I think I can get away with it while keeping it relatively inexpensive...

key words in that last sentence..."I think"

Chris
Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I would imagine it can. But to me doing the fab work and all that crap which myself have the skills to do isnt worth it unless you just want to do it yourself. You can get a 9 inch axle and houseing package for a $1200 bucks or something and get it in a week and build a junk yard or a badass 3rd member yourself. It would take the abuse for sure. But I did this once then went crazy and spent 4k for a MWC fab 9 inch, sounds expensive but its a full suspension in the rear and it adds up quick. How this helps a little.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes it can.

Why not do the fab work and do it yourself? Saves money and gives you something to do.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An 8.8 build is economical ss long as you keep it somewhat mundane...
A 31spline 8.8 can be built for way less than a comparable 9", with similar strength.

Now, doing a 33 spline, locker 8.8, c clip eliminators, girdles, etc.. you're getting into some real cash, and a bolt in 9" would be cheaper.

FWIW: I'm not an 8.8 hater either, I'm actually building one up right now with a true bolt on t/a bracket THAT WILL NOT BREAK like all thr welded mistakes seem to do.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Teching In

My tuner has a 800rwhp mustang GT tt and its got the 31 spline axles, eaton elocker girdle, and gears and takes it like a champ! I just wish my car had a better rear end lol
Old 02-21-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rear itself can handle it, but the torque arm mount you fab to make it work may not.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkyn
The rear itself can handle it, but the torque arm mount you fab to make it work may not.
I agree here.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there has been a couple of great 8.8 build threads.contact those people and pay them for a rear end ,the did great work.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Default Midwest Chassis Fab 9" vs 8.8"

I wouldn't mess around with an 8.8" rear end.

The Midwest Chassis Fab 9 is a Pro Built 9" rear end that comes complete with Chomemoly Torque arm, Crossmember & Driveshaft loop.

The MWC Fab 9 comes with an Adjustable torque arm, with heim joints so that you can adjust your pinion angle & instant center for maximum traction. You can totally dial it in for the best Launch & traction.

I added the Backbrace option, 31 spline strange axles,black powder coat & PST Chromemoly Driveshaft. Eric at Midwest Chassis Designed this Heavy Duty rear end to last no matter how much power you throw at it.

The MWC Custom Fabricated housing comes with extra sheet metal , Gussets for additional strength , Backbrace & is second to none in strength & reliability. This Fab 9" is much... much stronger than the 8.8 in many ways.
Just look at it in the pictures that i posted here.

The rear end in my car is a MWC Fab 9 & im very proud of it.
Well worth the money... every penny !

The 9" is the best design in the industry because of its inherent strength, many available gear ratios, Quick gear changing & parts availability.

This rear end looks like it was built for a Tank ! & it is very light weight.
Attached Thumbnails Can an 8.8 handle it?-midwest-chassis-fab-9-rearend-004.jpg   Can an 8.8 handle it?-midwest-chassis-fab-9-rearend-003.jpg   Can an 8.8 handle it?-fab-9-pics-car-lift-012.jpg   Can an 8.8 handle it?-midwest-chassis-fab-9-install-006.jpg   Can an 8.8 handle it?-midwest-chassis-fab-9-break-oil-change-002.jpg  

Old 02-21-2011, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NOS LS1
I wouldn't mess around with an 8.8" rear end.

The Midwest Chassis Fab 9 is a Pro Built 9" rear end that comes complete with Chomemoly Torque arm, Crossmember & Driveshaft loop.

The MWC Fab 9 comes with an Adjustable torque arm, with heim joints so that you can adjust your pinion angle & instant center for maximum traction. You can totally dial it in for the best Launch & traction.

I added the Backbrace option, 31 spline strange axles,black powder coat & PST Chromemoly Driveshaft. Eric at Midwest Chassis Designed this Heavy Duty rear end to last no matter how much power you throw at it.

The MWC Custom Fabricated housing comes with extra sheet metal , Gussets for additional strength , Backbrace & is second to none in strength & reliability. This Fab 9" is much... much stronger than the 8.8 in many ways.
Just look at it in the pictures that i posted here.

The rear end in my car is a MWC Fab 9 & im very proud of it.
Well worth the money... every penny !

The 9" is the best design in the industry because of its inherent strength, many available gear ratios, Quick gear changing & parts availability.

This rear end looks like it was built for a Tank ! & it is very light weight.
Great looking pieces...I definetly would love to put something like this same setup in my car. Might be worth the extra cash to get a full setup like this all in one shot...
Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ries
Great looking pieces...I definetly would love to put something like this same setup in my car. Might be worth the extra cash to get a full setup like this all in one shot...
It mite save you money also, buying a hole package/ shipping cost would possibly be the same. It worth to buy the whole kit, It will be a large number at first to you, but if you do the math you will save
Old 02-22-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MWC's rear is super nice and probably not to far out of price range for someone who needs a tough rear.

But... I have been building my own 9" rear using a factory truck housing (which is super heavy duty. Plenty of strength for an 8 or 9 second car). Everything less housing is aftermarket including strange s 3.25case, 35 spline chromeoly spool, master install kit, motive 3.89 gear, daytona pinion support, and billet yoke. Using moser 7900fm housing ends and 7230(i think) tq arm bracket. After paying for all that, buying a donor housing, and paying to have someone help me narrow the housing I still have less than 1500 bucks in it.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer the question a friend haa a 3500+ lb cobra that makes over 650 wheel and his 31 spline posi 8.8 holds up fine. Cars only been a best of 7.40 in the 1/8 though spinning. Lol.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Well I have just recently started running the LS1 cars as street car.. I have a 2000 SS that im in the process of building a 8.8 for.. I have always had mustangs and I have been 1.18 60' times with the 8.8's Running 8 teens in the 1/4.. The 8.8s are very good!!

Quick Reply: Can an 8.8 handle it?