Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

S60 is down!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could use some RED loctite on the adjuster lock bolts or drill the heads and safety wire them and they would not loosen up again. A guy on LS1LT1 named GRIMS had a problem with the carrier adjusters on his S60. Maybe he could fill you in on what fixed his S60.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that there are virtually no instances where an individual has broken their S60 due to a breech of the power threshold, only stupid quirks which arguably lead back to a time right before the cover was put on for the first time?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

You really need to get a picture of this. And please post it here.

Al
Old 03-28-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

I'll see what I can do. When the part comes in the mail I'll take it up to the shop and ask them to get a few shots of it. I'll be glad to get the dang car back. I've been either taking my bike on my 130 mile commute or borrowing my in-laws Sonoma. I guess it's not that much of an inconvenience as I usually take the 40+mpg motorcycle anyway, but when there's some real weather headed thru I need something with a roof on it. If it weren't for a spare family vehicle I'd be getting my moneys worth out of my rain suit!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

No pix Here is a real Dana 60 manual if anyone needs it.

http://www.dana60manual.com/dana-60-manual-page-2.htm

Al
Old 04-06-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

A little update: My mechanic called me today and said that he had bad news, that one of the bearings (either in the housing or the carrier) had spun. I'm not 100% sure which bearing he was talking about but he did say that in his opinion that he believed it to be a setup issue that caused all of this in the first place.

He said that he would call Midwest Chassis and fill them in on what was going on and to see if there was anything anyone could do. I didn't get a chance to sit and talk with him so I'm not 100% sure what was the catalyst in this whole problem, but he made it sound like it was a pretty big deal, like what ever that bearing ate is going to cost me a bunch.

This is my daily driver that I depend on. My 10 bolt hadn't completely died but I decided to replace it before it became a problem. I chose to go with an S60 because it's supposed to be an extreme duty piece. My logic was that something made for some serious racing could get me thru the next few years as a stock replacement before I one day turn the car into a race car. So, now, I've got a broken S60 that's costing me money... how much I'm not sure of yet... but I'll tell you this: If the whole rear end has to be replaced then I won't be able to afford to do it. I just can't keep shelling out money toward this car while im back in school. I'll have to just get another vehicle. Period. Maybe I'm an idiot for thinking that a high mileage Z28 can be used as a daily driver, but I just can't see replacing this rear end if it comes down to it.

I didn't mean to turn this into a sob story, but there's a chance that I'm going to end up being stuck with a broken S60, a mechanics bill, and the need to get a reliable vehicle. I just can't afford to keep fixing Fbody crap, lol. Looks like I'll finally get to acquire the ultimate Alabama yard ornament: A Camaro on blocks

This sucks. I'll let everyone know what the problem was and how it ends.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No sob story, Thanks for sharing your experiance. I have a rear end on the way out that needs to be replaced this summer before any real driving.
It will help in my decision of who and what companys to go with.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Well there's no real answer on what Strange is going to do about it. I've purchased a few parts from them for this fix, to the tune of about $70. The housing is pretty much toast on it. Yes, the housing. It will never be a simple adjuster type of rear end again. What we're going to try to do is basically put it back together like it was an older shim style rear end... or something like that. The bearing that spun did a lot of damage.

I'll wait to see what happens whan this is all said and done before I go casting my opinion on Strange. So far that haven't done anything but offer advice, but then again we've still got a shot at fixing it.

At the very least... very least, I've discovered an awesome mechanic. He's spent a ton of time on the phone with strange, and as of right now all I owe him for is 2 hours. There's no way I can let him only charge me for two hours. If he can get my car driving again then there will be a tip for sure. A good mechanic that will offer his honest advice with a firm handshake and eye contact is worth a lot to me, even if I am capable of doing the work myself.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Any update on this?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Updates yes! I want to know if this was fixed and if strange would step up and replace the housing. not like you replaced the gears or messed with the lock
Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Nope. It's still being worked on. What's taking so long is having to wait on parts to come in from Strange, which by the way, I've been paying for.

Is Strange going to be paying for any of this? No. They don't care. I'm a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of their business. My mechanic said he felt like it was impropper setup that caused it to go out, but Strange isn't the type of company to hear any of that - especially when your rearend has 21000 miles on it. If it'd had fewer miles then they might have paid to have it worked on, but I doubt anyone will get a full replacement from them.

I can't even remember how long it's been since I took it to the mechanic. I hope that he'll tell me that it's going to be good to go. I'm not betting on it though. It's going to take a lot of driving before I can trust this car again...

Here's my $0.02: If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have touched this S60. I should have gotten a Midwest Chassis rearend. Period. Midwest is still small enough to really care about their customers, while Strange is big enough to care less. There isn't enough crap I could talk about Strange to cause their business to be hurt - and I'm not the first to have problems with one of their products. I can remember reading about how terrible their customer service was five years ago. Sure they'll answer the phone and direct calls, but they're not going to give you anything except advice. They clearly don't care about me because they're still making me pay for all the stupid parts I need... oh but they cut me a break on the cost of those parts...

Forget about Strange. If you have problems down the road then they'll forget about you too. Get a Midwest chassis rearend if you're in the market for something. Even moser is worthless in the service area. You can dig up just as many complaints with them too.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

It's crazy to say this, but my 10 bolt was more reliable. It last for 130k miles, and even it could have been repaired.

I've explained to Strange that this is my daily driver, and I thought I was really going to fix my rearend problems by installing something super reliable. Boy was I wrong. I've been without my daily driver now for what, a month? The most reliable vehicle I've got is a motorcycle. This rearend has turned my reliable car into a piece of crap. If it's unfixable then I don't know what I'm going to do. I dropped $2800 bucks on this thing trying to make it bullet proof... and for no real reason either... I haven't ever taken it to the track.

I'd like to think that Strange would do something about it in the even that the rearend isn't repairable. If they don't just outright replace it then I might have to look at selling the car... which a car that doesn't drive is pretty hard to sell. I'd have to put a stock rear end under it so I could sell it, then I'd have to find a reliable daily driver.

So what do you do with a Dana 60 that you can't repair anyway? I doubt anyone on here would want it, because if there was any way to salvage it I would do it myself and ride on it. I've got a feeling that this is all going to turn into a $2800 mistake, and I'm going to have to spend even more money just to get it back on the road.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Years ago when I was looking for a new rear end, I decided I was going to do a 12-bolt, so that meant Strange for me since I didn't like (and still don't) Moser's 12-bolt torque arm mounting solution. Once piece of advice I was given back then was to go through a distributor - you know, someone that did enough business with them that they would listen if something went wrong. It seems like Strange even found a way to wiggle out of that one saying that if you didn't get it through Strange direct, they won't work with you, and even if you did, you still probably won't get any help.

The only reason why I went with the 12-bolt was because it was a direct drop in - it uses the stock length driveshaft, accepts stock-style torque arms, and even looks fairly stock just looking under the car at it. I've had horrible gear whine from day one, so hopefully this year is the year I finally get off my *** and fix it, but this will be done on my dime and my time. Hopefully I don't require any specialty, Strange-only parts, because I can only assume that if I needed it, they would probably say something like "Oh, I'm sorry...we no longer make the 12-bolt. You should buy an S60 instead."
Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
It's crazy to say this, but my 10 bolt was more reliable. It last for 130k miles, and even it could have been repaired.

I've explained to Strange that this is my daily driver, and I thought I was really going to fix my rearend problems by installing something super reliable. Boy was I wrong. I've been without my daily driver now for what, a month? The most reliable vehicle I've got is a motorcycle. This rearend has turned my reliable car into a piece of crap. If it's unfixable then I don't know what I'm going to do. I dropped $2800 bucks on this thing trying to make it bullet proof... and for no real reason either... I haven't ever taken it to the track.

I'd like to think that Strange would do something about it in the even that the rearend isn't repairable. If they don't just outright replace it then I might have to look at selling the car... which a car that doesn't drive is pretty hard to sell. I'd have to put a stock rear end under it so I could sell it, then I'd have to find a reliable daily driver.

So what do you do with a Dana 60 that you can't repair anyway? I doubt anyone on here would want it, because if there was any way to salvage it I would do it myself and ride on it. I've got a feeling that this is all going to turn into a $2800 mistake, and I'm going to have to spend even more money just to get it back on the road.

can you please get pictures of the damage?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

I haven't even seen the car in a month. I'll see if the mechanic to take some pictures.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:01 AM
12 Second Club

Kurt, any update on your S60?
I hope you have you ride back on the road.
Tom
Old 05-11-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Nope, still not back on the road. I've almost forgotten that I even have an Fbody, lol. It hasn't been in the driveway for a long long time.

Here's the deal: The inside of the axle tubes are threaded, and they've got some big adjusters that allow the user to unlock the adjuster and physically move the carrier back and forth - just like you would do with shims in a normal carrier, only without all the trial and error. Well, what ever it was that screwed up in my rear end initially caused all sorts of crap to fail, which ultimately led to a bearing spinning inside the housing. That bearing that spun jacked up those threads for the adjuster nut.

Sorry, still no pictures...

Here's what Strange is doing: It's out of warranty. Period. But, I'm not being totally shafted, though I am not going to have the same type of user friendliness that the rear end originally offered. Strange is machining some spacers that can fit down inside the axle tubes to bypass the jacked up threads. From there the plan is to set this rear end up with shims, just like the old Chrysler rear ends from back in the day. They're not 100% sure that it'll work, but since this is the first instance of a failure like this they want to try fixing it like this first.

I've got a little over $200 in total parts that I've purchased to facilitate this experiment, but if it works then I guess I'll be happy. It should be just as nasty strong, just not as easy to set up in the event that I decide to change out carriers or gears. The machined parts should be ready soon and my mechanic should be receiving them as soon as they're ready.

Keep your fingers crossed. Strange has been cutting me deals on the parts so far. I hope that in the event that this experiment doesn't work that they'll at least cut me a huge deal on a new housing. Oh, and there's also a chance that I might have to get some billet main caps if it jacked those up too.

I suppose that this is more of a compromise, so Strange isn't totally hanging me out to dry. Though, I'd like to point out, that if this rear end had been a track-only car, and it failed with only, say, 2000 miles on it, that we're looking at a rear end with potentially 8000 runs on it. But we all know that a rear end with that much abuse on it would have experienced a setup problem sooner. I'd say that Strange uses a case-by-case approach to determine what's worthy of a replacement or reimbursement. Mine evidently falls into some different category where they're curious as to what happened, and willing to partially help me out on the cost of some custom stuff - but not totally convinced that this was their fault.

Some of the evidence points to it being low on fluid. I'm not sure how to respond to that because if it was low then it almost certainly would have had to magically lost fluid. The underside of the car is dry, the rear is dry, my driveway is dry, and I remember putting over 2qts in it. Strange in deed (no pun intended).
Old 05-20-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it is good to hear that Strange is taking care of you...

What is amazing is how people are pissed when they buy from a reseller and then have a problem and expect the parent company that provides the primary parts to be on the hook for it???

You bought it from MWC. It is THIER product at that point. Did Strange do the complete buildup? Was it dropshipped from Strange directly?

If it was sent from MWC, then they did the assembly and they are on the hook for it. Plain and simple. Back in the day there was a company out of Michigan that started in with the S60s back when they first came out and the fact of the matter is they bought all the parts from Strange and did the assembly themselves. They also SCREWED UP on more than a few of them and tried blaming Strange (which was obviously what they intended all along as they knew the S60 was a better product and cheaper overall than the 9" solution they offered which had big margins of profit, so bad PR for S60s meant more 9" sales for them and bigger profits)...

I was one of the very first customers to get a S60 (I think I got the 3rd one they made), and I ordered it directly from them. At the time Speed Inc was ordering them in batches, and guess what, a bunch were screwed up. They were all built assembly-line style. My S60 was built by one guy all at once, ie, the job # was his for the day to get assembled, setup, finished. THAT is why I went direct, to ensure the best chance things would be done right.

Why would ANYONE order a part through a reseller when you can get it directly from the company??? Especially a MAJOR ITEM like a rear-end???

Sure, some companies won't deal directly with consumers, but a lot will, and common sense says go direct and then it is THIER problem if something happens...

Also, if they say the damage was from low-fluid level, then it is all on you. Regardless if you say you didn't see a leak, if you didn't check the fluid level at least once a year, then you really can't say. I check the fluid every 6 months in every vehicle I own. PITA, yes, but I never run low on fluids and have failures because of it.

In the end-case, the rear was working just fine for 21k miles. All parts can fail. Just because it is your daily driver that is not the problem of anyone else but you. I just think your attitude and demeaner on here towards Strange is misplaced and seems to be more like a butt-kissing endeavor for MWC. You bought it from them and they should be the ones shouldering the responsibility to make things right. If anything, they got off easy by your mechanic talking directly to Strange. MWC should have been in the middle and lost all the time they couldn't bill supporting a product they made a profit on. THAT is the cost of doing business and being the middle-man. You took out your frustrations on Strange that should have been pointed at MWC. Can't blame Strange for "passing the buck" when the buck your talking about went in MWCs pockets. If anything I would say you are quite lucky that Strange is helping as much as they are. But to slam them because you had a failure and you like MWC is just flat out wrong.

Also, yeah, I will say it is quite foolish to think of a high mileage f-body as a daily driver. ANY high-mileage car is questionable as far as reliability and f-bodys, given thier power, the weight, the parts used and the cost for them new (which all lends to a cars durability and build), you would have been much better off with a low powered car for a daily driver as parts are stressed less and thus much less likely to fail. Just my opinion, but I figured I would shed some reality on things...

Good luck with the repair, and when done should be just as strong as it was originally. Adjusters or shim packs accomplish the same thing, ie, getting the carrier located properly.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think it's foolish to think of a car that gets 25mpg as a daily driver, especially since it's been a relatively reliable car for 150k miles, in fact, more reliable than my wifes 2006 turbo diesel Jetta. Thanks for shedding your reality, but I don't appreciate being called a fool for relying an Fbody. Sure, I'd like to have a third car, but I don't. I bought a rearend because I wanted to further its reliability. Other than replacing the engine, which has been proven to go over 200k, what else on my car is going to break from daily driving? I put a monster clutch in it with all new hydraulics and a tick M/C, and I had the trans rebuilt. So far it's looking like a car with at least another 50k miles on the clock before I should need to get a new engine... especially since it sees more cruise control than shifting.

MWC didn't do the assembly. I talked to Strange while they were building it. The man at Strange who built the rearend told me over the phone that it was almost ready when I called to inquire about it. And my mechanic actually talked to MWC too, as did I. They didn't leave me hanging out to dry either. They wanted to hear what Strange suggested that I do and then see if their recommendation fixed the problem. In the event that it didn't they want me to get in touch with them. The low fluid theory is just a theory because Strange doesn't actually have the rearend to look at, and they wouldn't replace anything unless they had it in person. That fact came from MWC and from Strange. I ordered the rearend through MWC because they spent time helping me decide on which rearend to buy. I didn't do it save money, I did it as a good gesture. And, in the end, I've got two places that I could turn in the event that I had a problem and need advice.

As far as my attitude towards strange goes, I think I was pretty clear in stating that I wasn't going to start slamming anyone, and if the rear end is unrepairable then I think I'm doing my duty as an active forum member by telling other people about what happened to my rear end. I hope I didn't come across as a bad-mouther of strange, because that's not what my intentions were. But, I did want to get the point across that I had 21k on a rear end without any racing and it's dead, and so far I'm out about $250 in parts trying to fix it and I still owe a mechanic.

But, you're right. I should have checked the level, regardless of whether or not that was the issue. I just don't see how that much fluid could leak out without leaving a drop of oil on the underside of my car, or my white concrete driveway... I suppose since the mechanic didn't collect the fluid for measurement when he opened it up we'll never know. I still highly doubt it though.

I think it would be a little ridiculous to slam MWC for a rearend that they didn't build. I've been in contact with both businesses since the beginning, and other than one phone call with strange, I've been treated fairly and they are trying to resolve the problem. But that doesn't negate the fact that a problem does exist, and that I still don't have my car back.

Quick Reply: S60 is down!!!