Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear Vendors

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005 | 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since we are talking about F-bods it comes down to how the driver wants their auxiliary to work, which is why I ellaborated on functionality.

With a V2-OD you choose the range you want, call it high and low, and leave it there. High range could be used for normal cruising around. Low range would be for around-town driving or racing. If this functionality is adequate than the V2OD is the clear choice, and at a substancial savings.

If you want to be able to engage or disengage the OD at any speed, in any gear, and at any throttle position including Wide Open, then the Gear Vendors OD is the one you'd want.

There is also a difference in strength. The GV is rated to 1200HP out of the box, both in direct and in OD. They have also have units calibrated to handle 2000HP - same geartrain but different valve body.

This is not really about price, it's about choosing a product appropriate to needs.
Old 01-29-2005 | 01:27 PM
9 Second Club

and there you have it. i couldn't have put it any better myself James. if i'm just wanting/using the od for tooling around, and that's it, then my choice of a V2OD is right for my needs.

Dave
Old 02-02-2005 | 07:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by James B.
There is also a difference in strength. The GV is rated to 1200HP out of the box, both in direct and in OD. They have also have units calibrated to handle 2000HP - same geartrain but different valve body.

This is not really about price, it's about choosing a product appropriate to needs.
I didn't know they offered a higher strength unit.

Has anyone every looked into a group purchase of the GV?
Old 02-04-2005 | 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mzoomora
The Gear Vendors is the better unit - hands down. It is super tough, and can be engaged at almost any speed.
What is the use of an overdrive that you can only turn on when you dont need it? So you have to have it on before you get on the highway? The V2OD would force you to try and accelerate you RV or motorhome or truck with a 2.46 gear on the on ramp to the expressway instead of your 4.10 gear if you got the .7 ratio.
AT my work we are distributors for both units, and in my opinion the GV is the better unit. It is far mor versatile and convenient and very tough.

My Friend Scotts truck Got a 400/GV set-up. The GV is a better unit. What hasen't even been said is that the Gear Vender is the MOST EFFICENT transmission/transfer case in the WORLD. If your looking at overdrive for efficiency than why waist the extra power throught the V2OD. The V@od is good for certain aspect, and YES it is cheaper, but in the long run the GV is the best choice for multiple reasons. Hell 6 second cars run them for the "extra gear" factor. It is a damn tough unit.

Also : mzoomora. You should see if you could be a Moderator for the this one. You are always on point with info and I haven't seen any bulshit info from you at all. Next time I'm in town (i'm from Chicago near 6-corner's north side) I have to pic your brain over some beers

Last edited by Richiec77; 02-04-2005 at 12:24 AM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: Gear Vendors