Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion install HELP PLEASE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion install HELP PLEASE!!!!

ok so i had some serious noise coming from the diff out of my 02 ws6. i pull it apart and i have replaced all bearings because i found slop in the pinion(in and out movement)

im trying to reinstall the pinion right now and i have the new bearing/race/crush sleeve all in and i have hammered on it for over 3 hours with an impact and still have slight play and zero rotating tq. i cant really tell if the bearing isnt seated all the way or if the sleeve isnt crushed all the way.. ive also put a block of wood on the pinion gear and had it locked into place and have smacked the small yoke with a block of wood on the other side to see if i could shock the bearing into place.. it has maybe a 1/16th of movement in it right now and i have no clue how to take it up... what do i do?!?!!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Teching In

sometimes a crush sleeve can be a bitch to "break over" but then it will take off, and then it's time to be carefull not to go to far. put a pipe wrench on the yoke and get a big breaker bar to turn the pinion nut.

through that sleeve out and get yourself a solid spacer/shim setup.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

"...through that sleeve out and get yourself a solid spacer/shim setup.""

I agree with Tarpley1
Johnny
Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

ok so i got an OEM pinion nut and everything went on smooth. backlash is set perfect at .008" contact patch is dead nuts center and everything is tq'd to spec. rotating tq on pinion is 24in/lb. all new bearings, seals, races in the entire rear including axle bearings/seals.

bolted everything up filled with fluids and rotated the yoke several times to make sure i lubed everything up. i lowered the car and rolled it around back and forth and turning to make sure no binding..

when i pulled out and started rolling something felt weird. it feels like something is loose but i have checked everything from driveshaft to pinion play to brake calipers but i cant find the little clunk when hitting bumps. it rolls super smooth with no gear noise...

any ideas??
Old 07-27-2011, 03:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Double check everything you took off.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

figured out what made it feel funny.. bolt on panhard bar had become very loose. centered it and torqued it back down. still have a clunk when i hit a bump tho.. cant figure it out...

going to make a new post about it probably in suspension forum.