Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt rebuild...

I have a mostly stock 98 ss camaro m6 with 143xxx miles. So my stock rear end is almost done for , whining and clicking. I want to keep it stock, my car isn't a drag car it's my daily driver that I mainly baby, but of course I get the urge sometimes. I know i'll need the ring and pinion, but what is a good place to get them from? But what else do I need? The install kit for the rear end? I never had to deal with a rear end until now so I'm kind of clueless on it, help would be very nice.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ws6 store has a rebuild kit from Ratech.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...rential-misc-/

with 143k miles, you need the deluxe because your wheel bearings are probably bad.

They sell ring and pinions too just make sure you get the right one depending on if you have a 2 or 3 series (should be a 3 series so everything they have listed that doesn't have 2 series should be fine). I would get 4.10's since its a six speed and it wont hurt DD'ing that much and still give you a decent upgrade.

75W90 NON synthetic Gear oil and the limited slip additive (GM or Ford). I've heard the ford additive is a little better but I can't say I noticed a difference.

Get a solid pinion spacer and a TA girdle if you want it to hold up a little better.

That should be it. If you plan on having someone do it it'll probably cost you $250 - $300 in labor alone. It aint cheap man and make sure they do it right. If it whines, ask them what they set the gear backlash to and check it again. Good luck man.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the link..seems to have everything I need. I may stay stock 3.42's maybe 3.73's. I drove a car with 4.10s before, wasn't my favorite. Could you tell me more about the pinion spacer and ta girdle. I see you live in Nashville, I'm right down the road in Smyrna, any good mechanics nearby to install it?
Old 10-08-2011, 12:46 AM
Teching In

I found a richmond ring and pinion that I'm going to go with ...how about this install kit..I believe it should work with mine http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=1176762
Old 10-09-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Richmond makes a good gear as well. As long as they set it up right Richmond will be fine. The deluxe kit from jegs should be fine as well. I only referred to the ws6store because they're a sponsor on here and I have had good experiences with them.

The pinion spacer acts in place of the crush sleeve and resists deflection and helps make the 10 bolt last longer.

The girdle is another thing that will help strengthen your rear end.

Both of those things are pretty much a must doing a rebuild because you don't want to have to do it again and for the money, they are great additions.

If you don't do the girdle at least spend the extra $20 on the pinion spacer because the rear is already apart and it helps a lot. The girdle you can do later when you do a rear end flush. Good luck man. I can't recommend anyone in nashville because I got mine done while I was in knoxville by a local guy that did a decent job. I'm sure if you post on the southern members board then you could find someone close. Good luck man.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

If it's "just" a DD, have you considered a lower mileage 10 bolt to replace the broken one with instead?

I had a horrible experience with the 10 bolt in my 3rd gen. Initially was just a "budget" upgrade from an open 2.73 rear end. But, by the time I'd gone through 3 different shops and 3 different gearsets to finally get it done right I could have bought a 9 inch instead. Makes me sick thinking about it.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tobias05
If it's "just" a DD, have you considered a lower mileage 10 bolt to replace the broken one with instead?

I had a horrible experience with the 10 bolt in my 3rd gen. Initially was just a "budget" upgrade from an open 2.73 rear end. But, by the time I'd gone through 3 different shops and 3 different gearsets to finally get it done right I could have bought a 9 inch instead. Makes me sick thinking about it.
I REALLLLLLY debated buying a 9" when my 10 bolt went. It was that or rebuild the 10 bolt and spend the extra ~2k+ on bolt ons. You can see the route I took. I will kick myself when I do Stall/Spray and my rear end and the 600 I spent goes out the window. Live and learn I guess. If it genuinely a DD then I think just rebuilding it will be fine.

Finding a low mileage 10 bolt is pretty hard to come by. I dont think anyone would rebuild one just to sell it. They just wouldn't get their money back. There's always trying but good luck.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I have had good success with Ratech kits and Motive gears.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Teching In

I have thought about a 10 bolt from another car and actually got my hands on one. My buddy needed an axle for his and I need the rear end so we got it for 100 bucks. It turned to be an 2.76 I believe and it wasn't an exact fit. I know mine fits of course so decided to have it redone. I found my install kit, but it has through 98 which thats what I have, didn't know they changed them in later years. The ring and pinion not sure, I would like oem but cost a good bit or might go with motive.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

The install kit i mentioned on Ws6 store is the exact one i bought and it worked fine. I got the pinion spacer too. The Motives are good too. Again same thing I got. I think all 6spd's are 3 series gears so don't get a 2 series.

Quick Reply: 10 bolt rebuild...