Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ford 9" center question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ford 9" center question

I have a question for you guys,, I have the nodular iron center section, I know it is the strong one that is desired, but my question is this,,does this one weigh more than the normal iron one. Anyone know what the chunk alone weighs. I am asking because I am tryin to get some more weight off the car And curious about this I know strange makes an aluminum center, but it says its 20lbs lighter, at the cost of 500 $. Thanks for any help you may have on this.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RARON455
I have a question for you guys,, I have the nodular iron center section, I know it is the strong one that is desired, but my question is this,,does this one weigh more than the normal iron one. Anyone know what the chunk alone weighs. I am asking because I am tryin to get some more weight off the car And curious about this I know strange makes an aluminum center, but it says its 20lbs lighter, at the cost of 500 $. Thanks for any help you may have on this.
Since you already have a nodular iron center section, I don't feel the weight savings to swap over to an alum center section is weight/cost effective with the mods to your car that I see listed. Besides, the added weight from your nodular iron center section is in a good location. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-25-2011, 11:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob made excellent points, if it is a stock Ford center keep an eye on the rear pinion bearing support casting, they are notorious for breaking.
The Strange aluminum center section actually is $379.00 but still a lot of dollars for 20 lbs.
Carl
Old 10-26-2011, 08:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swapping out the center section case to a lighter one all depends. Just doing it to drop twenty pounds isn't going to net you anything but doing twenty pounds five times could be good for a tenth.

When a customer calls and wants to drop a bunch of weight off their rear end I try to ask them if chasing tenths is worth the money spent. But to make a difference you really need to stack up a bunch of weight savings to make it worth wild and in doing so it usually means a substantial amount of money spent as well after you are done taking out the free weight.

Also keep in mind the Strange aluminum light weight case is not designed for high HP heavy vehicles. It is also not good for a bunch of street driving either. Now don't get me wrong I have plenty of customers doing it but the problem you will see is premature gear wear from case flex. An aluminum case is also known to let out a little more gear noise also.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick with the nodular case and if you havnt upgraded the pinion support do so but dont by the drag style one like i did. I was wondering why the rear kept getting louder and pulled it apart to get rid of the locker anyway, found the bearing shot. Called strange to see what was going on and I didnt read that it was dragrace only haha. Extended street use will kill it. Buy the stree/ strip one, I have to today lol.

Quick Reply: Ford 9" center question